Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I am new to macOS and I have a question. Are any of you doing distributed computing. For more than a decade I did distributed computing on my PC's. This is where your computer is used in a distributed network to discover various things. The idea was by combining thousands of computers idle time you had the computing power of all but most massive supercomputers. Seti@home was an example you crunched data sets mostly from the now gone Arecibo radio telescope. I see that at least one of my former projects Einstein@Home which is looking for radio and gamma-ray pulsars has Mac support. Are any of you doing this? Doing this never had any impact on my regular use of my PC's because it only starts after you stop using your machine. Plus you always have complete control over bandwidth and when it starts. Like on a laptop setting it so it only activates when the laptop is idle and plugged in. Your computer downloads a data set crunches the numbers and reports its results, than with your complete control downloads another data set, your computer is only online long enough to download the data set. As for security in all of the years I ran these projects there were never any hacks, or malicious intrusions. The worst that ever happened was during the beginning of COVID a couple of universities where using it to fold proteins looking for potential vaccine vectors. They had to suspend them because the Chinese were stealing everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: barracuda156

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I am new to macOS and I have a question. Are any of you doing distributed computing. For more than a decade I did distributed computing on my PC's. This is where your computer is used in a distributed network to discover various things. The idea was by combining thousands of computers you had the computing power of all but most massive supercomputers. Seti@home was an example you crunched data sets mostly from the now gone Arecibo radio telescope. I see that at least one of my former projects Einstein@Home which is looking for radio and gamma-ray pulsars has Mac support. Are any of you doing this? Doing this never had any impact on my regular use of my PC's because it only starts after you stop using your machine. Plus you always have complete control over bandwidth and when it starts. Like on a laptop setting it so it only activates when the laptop is idle and plugged in.

Which software were you using btw?

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have loaded BionicManager, now trying to retrieve my accounts. Have not done this since my last assemble PC died of a terminal BIOS failure a couple of years ago.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The problem I had with resetting my passwords was a weird one I have run into before. I don't get all of my Gmail mail on the Apple mail client, it doesn't even go into junk mail. When I remembered this I signed into Gmail directly and the password resets were all there I am back on Milkyway@home, and have retrieved My account on Einstein@Home problems with the new password on Bionic. One of my old projects Cosmology@home is dormant. Universe@home does not work with macOS. Retrieved Asteroids@home. Not going to return to Rosetta@home that is the one the Chinese were stealing all of the results when they were folding Covid proteins looking for vaccine vectors. too bad it has the coolest 3D animated screensaver.

What is very interesting to me is BionicManager has a listing of all of the computers I have used since 2009, OS's, and Graphics cards. I will be interesting to see how My Mac Studio is listed

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Looked up the current computing power of Bionic Manager and it's 24-hour average is 13.885 PetaFLOPS.
The most powerful single supercomputer today, USA's "Frontier" machine can run at 1102 PetaFLOPS.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Holycow this Studio is fast. It is charging through the first data set from Milkyway@home much faster than my last 8 core AMD 9590 200 watt hotrod. The M1Max is drawing a high of 16 watts and the system is 91% idle.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reactions: barracuda156

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
All up and running. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_7673.jpeg
    IMG_7673.jpeg
    896.7 KB · Views: 59

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have a issue with Boinc Manager. It is presently running all of the time. I don't notice it at all while I am using the Mac Studio, except it increases the average temperature of the machine 10° to 15° C. with it going it averages about 55° C which is still well within the operating range of the Mac Studio. I want to configure it like I had it on my PC to run only when the PC is inactive. The problem is the tabs that take you to the various controls are not on the Boinc Simple view on macOS as the are on a PC. I don't see anyway to get to the advance view were this controls also live. The Option tab is were you go to make these changes. I have this question into the Boinc "voices". I hope it isn't a command line thing. This is no problem for me with a Windows machine but my noob status with macOS means I am not going to mess with that right now.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Problem solved the tabs do not reside on the simple screen on macOS. instead with the application open click the BOINC Manager icon in the top upper left hand corner. This will open a tile with all of the configuration controls. Pays to ask the question with BOINC's programers on GitHub.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Is there an way to set this up, only for my use. So I don't want to donate my computing power to other people.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Is there an way to set this up, only for my use. So I don't want to donate my computing power to other people.
What sort of computer environment are you working in. I have always run this on my personal machine which I am the only person who accesses it. Are you in some sort of a network, or are you sharing a computer with different accounts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.