Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I was wondering if it is possible (I don't mean likely, but like "can be done") to use people's computers like SETI and say get people to download a fat screensaver program has the specifics needed for rendering stuff so it can only be used in the screensaver...then in a movie or something, people with fast internet and fast computers could be assigned a few frames each which would take a bit off the time needed by the business doing it...sound alright?

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
yeah.. its possible, but the problem now is creating an interface -- final cut pro and premiere dont have any render plugins or anything allowing you to do something like that

theoretically its possible... however, most companies willing to invest a good amont of money on doing this type of project would probably just like to purchase or rent dedicated computers for a project like this -- companies that run programs that have render plugins...

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Let me translate it in to spanish.

You mean to do a network rendering using the computers connected to the internet...

I bet you that is not a new idea but in an idea that I haven't heard before.

The easiest way to do that is if Apple lunch a system to do network render with the Apple computers connected to the internet, using a special protocol. That would lunch Apple sales but may be I would get less computers fro ma "Mac render farm", but for amateurs would be a very good solution.

I wouldn't have any problem letting my computer connected to the net during the night to do some ones elses work.

edwardtuner12

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Distributed rendering

Distributed rendering is a technique for distributing a single render job within a single frame across many computers in a network. There are different approaches of doing this but the main concept is to reduce the render times by dividing different parts of the rendering pipeline and giving each participant different parts of the job. The most common way to do this is to divide the frame to be rendered into small regions(buckets) and give each machine to render a number of them. Then get the results and combine them into the final image.for more info google out renderrocket.

bamf

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
Distributed rendering is a technique for distributing a single render job within a single frame across many computers in a network. There are different approaches of doing this but the main concept is to reduce the render times by dividing different parts of the rendering pipeline and giving each participant different parts of the job. The most common way to do this is to divide the frame to be rendered into small regions(buckets) and give each machine to render a number of them. Then get the results and combine them into the final image.for more info google out renderrocket.

Wow, that's a nice 8 year necro there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.