Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
for some reason the sound of my old G5 tower came into my head and was saying WHAT I CANT HEAR YOU :) if you ever had a silver towered G5 you would know what fan noise can be :) hahahhahahahah

That is the one thing I don't miss about the old cheese grater that I left behind for a MBP. I made a point of storing it under a desk with an open back desktop enclosure to cut the noise down, but it was still loud.

Reactions: Honumaui

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
a bit late to the party, but the i9 has a noisy fan and a very active one at that. even just streaming videos (twitch and such) it can suddenly spin to life as the i9 spikes. playing wow and get lots of activity and fan has hit 2700

Reactions: mmomega

smayer97

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Can’t remember the exact sources, but I confirmed through multiple sources that Apple will not let you boot into an Mac OS LOWER than what the Mac ships with. The iMac Pro shipped with High Sierra, and the 2019 iMac shipped with Mohave. You can still boot to an older OS on a 2019 iMac through a virtual machine like Parallels, though, so it can be done.

Yes that is always an option. I was looking for something more concrete for info. Thanks for the reply though.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I will say that just under normal daily usage like watching videos, etc my 2019 i9 8Core is louder than my iMac Pro 18 Core.

Then if I had to make a choice between the two, I would not get rid of my iMac Pro over the i9 iMac any day of the week.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.