Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Okay, so I’m ready to give up the standard wired lightning cable charging due to the fact that my phone would not charge because it’s just a lint magnet and there were a lot of dust and lint inside the charging port.

So I’m thinking about going wireless charging for my iPhone 13 mini.

I would like to know if there are any Cons and Pros to wireless charging. Does it overheat the phone? Does it degrade the battery health?

Of course, even if I decide to go for wireless charging, the port will still end up with lint anyways over time again.

But, if I go wireless, then at least my phone will charge normally.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Enjoy charging wirelessly. There is no downsides other than charge speeds will be slightly slower than when using a wired fast charger.

Battery health will degrade slightly faster as more heat is being produced, however you can always opt for a battery replacement after 2-2.5 years.

I don’t know why your phone is a lint magnet, it’s obviously your pockets! You could try using an Otterbox case with a flap/port cover if you wish to continue wired charging.

Reactions: compwiz1202

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If you’ve got lint, then no other choice.

Small chassis, heat, and wireless charging. Save up $89 for service in the next 12-18 months.

wags1

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2022
I only used wireless charging for my X. I use a wireless charging stand on my nightstand next to my bed. When I go to bed the phone goes on the charging stand. I use the phone as my nightstand clock. I recently upgraded to a 14 Pro and gave my X to my wife. Using the same process for my 14 Pro. I have never had any issues with my X and it is still going strong with no battery issues.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
There is nothing wrong with charing your phone wirelessly. If you are concerned about battery health degradations then charging it wireless may not be for you. To be honest with you and from my experience. My battery health still retained over 100% battery health even after 1 year plus of use on wireless charging pad. Never lost batteryhealth.

If you still want to charge it wired maybe look into getting those silion/rubber dust cap.

Reactions: wags1 and Splitrail

blw777

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2022
I use pretty much 100% wireless charging on my iPhone 12 Pro, but I do have the same lint problem (and for the same reason). It's actually quite simple to extract if you have a pair of tweezers. I have occasionally found (maybe 3-4 times in 2+ years?) that in the car it can decide to stop charging because it gets too hot. But around the house/office or in the car not in the summer time, no worries.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Will the MagSafe work with my Apple 20-W charging brick?
Yes, it's fine. The Magsafe charger will draw as much power as it needs to charge the phone from the 20W charging brick.

This situation is no different if you were to connect a more powerful brick to the magsafe charger...

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I use wireless charging all the time along with a MagSafe battery pack every single day. I am purposely trying to drop the battery health down as I plan on getting a replacement in late Feb anyway. I’ve been sitting at 84% battery health for a while though and can’t seem to get below that, lol. I am paying for my battery replacement anyway so it doesn’t matter what my battery health is in late Feb.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
A76BC810-7C97-4985-8C42-A913692E22EF.png

I purchased a new iPhone 13 and have picked up some cheap port covers on Amazon for next to nothing. I intend to go full wireless now with earphones and charging.

TheLocNar

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2017
I wireless charge overnight. The rest of the time I’m plugged in and using my phone if need be.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Use the smallest capacity charging brick that will charge the phone to reduce heat from wireless charging. This will prolong battery life.

Reactions: Piscestg

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I used only a 5w wired charger nightly with optimized charging. Never ran the battery below 20% and yet after a year my 13 mini is down to 85% health with SOT is down to 3 hours (from 6 hours). Meanwhile other members of my family who got the phone at the same time as me who absolutely don’t care about charging (let it run until it shuts off, charge with wireless fast charging) are at 95% battery health and longer SOT. FWIW at least from my sample size of 3 iPhone 13 minis all these battery health saving precautions are useless.

And btw you can buy a little silicone lightning plug from Amazon to cover the charging port (I used to use one on my 6s)

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Okay, so I’m ready to give up the standard wired lightning cable charging due to the fact that my phone would not charge because it’s just a lint magnet and there were a lot of dust and lint inside the charging port.

So I’m thinking about going wireless charging for my iPhone 13 mini.

I would like to know if there are any Cons and Pros to wireless charging. Does it overheat the phone? Does it degrade the battery health?

Of course, even if I decide to go for wireless charging, the port will still end up with lint anyways over time again.

But, if I go wireless, then at least my phone will charge normally.
Wireless electrons are little bit slower :)

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I used to resist wireless charging because of the reasons other people have listed above. However, getting a magnetic wireless charging stand for my nightstand has been game changing. The convenience of just being able to reach over and snap my phone into place and be done is awesome compared to fumbling with a wired charger. The stand I bought was actually cheaper than the Apple MagSafe charger, it’s technically not a “MagSafe” charger which means it charges slower (7.5 W instead of 15 W) which is perfect because it gets less warm which means less battery degradation. I charge it overnight so speed doesn’t matter anyways. I actually have never felt my 14 Pro Max get hot using it either.

If you’re really concerned about battery degradation (I would be more concerned about it with a Mini), a 5W wired charger is still the safest way to go. But it also might be worth asking yourself if it’s worth it to miss out on a feature the phone has that you already paid for and if it’s worth it to constantly worry about battery degradation instead of just enjoying the convenience of wireless charging for a couple years. The worst that happens is you pay for a new battery a bit earlier than you would’ve otherwise.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I recently had been charging my iPhone 14 Pro and noticed that when I move the phone around while the phone is charging the charging stops and then charges again. Then when I move it around again, no charging takes place.

Yesterday, I took a toothpick and very gently scraped off some lint from the charging connection port and quite a bit came out. Hopefully I’ll see an improvement.

My question is, do you have the same issue similar to mine?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nermal

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Yes thats normal. First time with iphone 6. the apple genius knew the problem and fixed it in seconds. now i just do it every few months when it happens by myself

Last edited:

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
How did they fix it?
They just cleaned out the dust from the connection port?

And with what tools?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.