Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
is there any way to send specific phone numbers straight to voicemail depending on the time of day?
i thought maybe focus mode could do this, but it seems that for contacts it either Everyone, No One, Favourites or All Contacts.

Basically i want to be able to filter calls from work (from various numbers) outside of work hours or when on annual leave.

from what i can see iOS 15 doesn't appear to have that level of customisation from focus mode.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
So basically you want to do the inverse of what Do Not Disturb (DND) (or any Focus mode) does. DND silences all calls except from people you allow during a certain time frame. You want to allow all calls except from people you block during a certain time frame. As far as I know, you are correct that there is no way to do that with DND. Maybe someone else will chime in that knows a workaround or maybe an app that allows this.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
well i guess it's sort of DND.

basically between 07:30 and 16:30 mon-fri i would want those calls to come thru normally. outwith those hours i would want them to go straight to voicemail

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
well i guess it's sort of DND.

basically between 07:30 and 16:30 mon-fri i would want those calls to come thru normally. outwith those hours i would want them to go straight to voicemail

Wondering if there’s a way to create a list of all such contacts and then blanket block them?! then you can just block and unblock as you see fit.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Nah I would want it to be a totally automatic process. Having to manually block and unblock all the time wouldn’t be workable

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Wondering if there’s a way to create a list of all such contacts and then blanket block them?!
emoji848.png
then you can just block and unblock as you see fit.

Can do it in reverse: create a contact group of allowed callers and select that group in the "Allowed Calls From" setting in a Focus with a schedule for time want to silence all others.

Back in the stone age of iPhone, I had a contact group (DnD Allow) setup of just family, friends, and a handful of other contacts in it and had DnD on 24/7 during US election time (was getting tons of politics robo-calls along with usual spam).

Only issue I think with this is that it will silence text messages from everyone. Would need to add people individually to the "Allowed People" list to get text messages from them. Or what might work is to add the Messages app to the allowed apps list to allow all messages through (have not tried that, as I have added immediate family to my People list in my bedtime Focus).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.