Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmc1818

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
can i burn divx movies from a windows pc and watch them on a mac without installing new software?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
QuickTime can play most divx avi files with the right codecs. Depends on which codecs you use, so do a Google search for them. Download them all, install them into your QT library, and you are good to go. VLC and MPlayer are also handy to have if that doesn't work.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
bmc1818 said:
can i burn divx movies from a windows pc and watch them on a mac without installing new software?
With the DivX 6 codec installed, all of your QuickTime-compatible apps can handle DivX-encoded AVI files. This includes iMovie and iDVD.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
for viewing only purposes, i would recommend using a 3rd party player like vlc or mplayer osx. although divx 6 can enable divx on quicktime and on other apps, the performance isn't as good as the 3rd party apps, thus reducing viewing experience.

the other 3rd party players have good performance, quality, and control options. you can chose both, which is what i have done. i installed divx 6 and use vlc player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.