Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
My iPhone 5 now has 100% working Qi wireless charging. I learned from Apple forum:apple::apple::apple:, but could not find the original post link now:confused::confused:. So i make a conclusion here step by step.

I used a wireless portable charger QiPack, a new power solution on kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qipack/qipack-ultra-thin-wireless-portable-charger

The iPhone is working great, it's pure and complete wireless without cable or power wire. It will take 2hour 45 minuts for fully charging and almost charge 20% in half an hour.:D

I have updated some pictures in case anyone else wants to attempt to DIY, simple 5 steps.

PS: for first time use, you need charge the QiPack before using, because, there is a built-in 3000mAh li-ion battery pack in QiPack.

1. checklist

2. insert coil receiver and plug into lightning port

3. turn the coil receiver to the back of iPhone

4.cover the case

5.place iPhone to QiPack and click the on/off button for wireless charging.

Thanks for watching!!!:D:D

Attachments

• i1.jpg
    i1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,091
  • i3.jpg
    i3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 950
  • i4.jpg
    i4.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 620
  • i6.jpg
    i6.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 604
  • i7.jpg
    i7.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:

iphone2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
See 2 image before and after, see goodbye to messy cable now

c0ee77ae4c7849d1838ccf4e2deb6e1a_large.jpg

e949331bad93ad5086bdb8c6db53db5b_large.jpg

a7d0fff4012bd897bb64a6106193be25_large.jpg

327d6305fa2de6974e8973a7499a57d0_large.jpg

a2a9314bea3767311e852dcecef891e2_large.jpg

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You still need to use cables to charge the charging pad though, so that 'after' shot will only look like that for two full charges. It will look just like the 'before' shot when you need to charge the Qi pad.

As always the benefits are overblown. :rolleyes:

iphone2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
You still need to use cables to charge the charging pad though, so that 'after' shot will only look like that for two full charges. It will look just like the 'before' shot when you need to charge the Qi pad.

Hi matt, due to QiPack built-in 3000mAh rechargeable li-ion battery, it can provide both wireless charging and USB external portable charger.
9ffb5141fbce34304ecd9558cab5ae84_large.jpg

----------

[/COLOR]
Thats a pretty good Fauxnews trick there. Take a picture of crazy wires then without any and people believe the charging pad charges itself.

WOW, it's a really items on kickstarter, and images come from it too, here is the resources, you can refer:D:D:D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qipack/qipack-ultra-thin-wireless-portable-charger

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Hi matt, due to QiPack built-in 3000mAh rechargeable li-ion battery, it can provide both wireless charging and USB external portable charger.

----------

[/COLOR]

WOW, it's a really items on kickstarter, and images come from it too, here is the resources, you can refer:D:D:D

Right, I understand, but what I'm saying is that you still NEED to use cables to charge the qipack battery.

So you can only charge without cables for two full charges. After that you need to use a cable to recharge the qipack.

So the 'after' shot there is very misleading, because one third of the time you'll actually need to use cables.

You see what I'm saying?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
FYI - I'm still interested in this product but I would keep the charging pad plugged in all the time, so that all you ever have to do to charge the phone is lay it on the pad. That seems to be the real benefit to me.

This no cables angle is just marketing rubbish; it's almost dishonest.

iphone2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
FYI - I'm still interested in this product but I would keep the charging pad plugged in all the time, so that all you ever have to do to charge the phone is lay it on the pad. That seems to be the real benefit to me.

Matt, In fact the kickstarter page had indicated to charge before usage, as the image shown below.

Also you can contact the project creator for a confirmation.

fc138dccceb3722f5198dcb70c772dc4_large.jpg

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Matt, In fact the kickstarter page had indicated to charge before usage, as the image shown below.

Also you can contact the project creator for a confirmation.

The video says that you can charge your phone and the Qi pack at the same time by leaving it plugged in, then remove the cable once the Qi pack is fully charged. That's how I would use it.

You still need to use wires to charge using this thing - make no mistake. The benefit is in not having to connect a cable to your phone.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
I just bought a qi receiver pad for my iphone 5s. I plan on doing what the OP did and simply plug it in and then wrap it around with a case over it. Ill report back to say how it went.

iphone2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
The video says that you can charge your phone and the Qi pack at the same time by leaving it plugged in, then remove the cable once the Qi pack is fully charged. That's how I would use it.

You still need to use wires to charge using this thing - make no mistake. The benefit is in not having to connect a cable to your phone.

The kickstarter page indicate, there is 3000mAh built-in battery in QiPack, once fully charged, you can power iPhone without any cable and wire.

See the infographic.
1d301d4cb0ae847de6ed8afaccaef48a_large.jpg

----------

I just bought a qi receiver pad for my iphone 5s. I plan on doing what the OP did and simply plug it in and then wrap it around with a case over it. Ill report back to say how it went.

thecurryman
Is there any battery built-in your Qi pad? if no, you Qi pad need to connect the power adaptor for wireless charging.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
thecurryman
Is there any battery built-in your Qi pad? if no, you Qi pad need to connect the power adaptor for wireless charging.

No, the Qi pad I have is the one i got from AT&T for a very good price.

I just received the receiver today. First of all, its very thin and fits perfectly between the case im using and my iphone. It also works very well and charges about the same speed as the cable. Honestly, I love it. Makes using and charging the phone that much nicer. Definitely would buy again.

iphone2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
No, the Qi pad I have is the one i got from AT&T for a very good price.

I just received the receiver today. First of all, its very thin and fits perfectly between the case im using and my iphone. It also works very well and charges about the same speed as the cable. Honestly, I love it. Makes using and charging the phone that much nicer. Definitely would buy again.

I am glad to hear that. Next time you can try QiPack. It works completed cordless and wireless with your iPhone.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana

I had the powermat for my 3GS and this is exactly how it worked. It also provided a very durable and protective although bulky case.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

Yeah. How dare this guy not invent a battery than can charge itself without being plugged into an external power source. WTF right?

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
Yeah. How dare this guy not invent a battery than can charge itself without being plugged into an external power source. WTF right?

I think he was merely pointing out that the pics aren't exactly accurate since you will need A cable to charge the station. People who aren't very familiar with this might assume that you will never need a cable again especially based on these two pics.

iphone2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
I had the powermat for my 3GS and this is exactly how it worked. It also provided a very durable and protective although bulky case.

Yes, Powermat is PMA standard, which QiPack is WPC Qi standard. Enjoy.

----------

There is 3000mAh li-ion rechargeable battery cell built-in QiPack, it supports inductive charging for iPhone. read more https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qipack/qipack-ultra-thin-wireless-portable-charger

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
Yes, Powermat is PMA standard, which QiPack is WPC Qi standard. Enjoy.

No idea what the difference here is but for "wireless charging" purposes they are exactly the same. You put your phone in a case and set it on the charging device.

There is 3000mAh li-ion rechargeable battery cell built-in QiPack, it supports inductive charging for iPhone. read more https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qipack/qipack-ultra-thin-wireless-portable-charger

Yes, but the battery in the QiPack has to be charged somehow or it can't charge the phone. So you are still using wires to charge the QiPack at some point. If you were not all that familiar with technology then it could be easy to misunderstand this and assume you would never use wires again.

iphone2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
No idea what the difference here is but for "wireless charging" purposes they are exactly the same. You put your phone in a case and set it on the charging device.

Difference, Magnetic Induction (MI) by WPC and Magnetic Resonant (MR) by PMA, and they not compatible with each other.

Yes, but the battery in the QiPack has to be charged somehow or it can't charge the phone. So you are still using wires to charge the QiPack at some point. If you were not all that familiar with technology then it could be easy to misunderstand this and assume you would never use wires again.

Difference, Magnetic Induction (MI) by WPC and Magnetic Resonant (MR) by PMA, and they not compatible with each other.

Yes, the built-in battery of QiPack need to charged before usage, after that, you can use your QiPack power up your iPhone wireless/cordless.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana

Cool.

Yes, the built-in battery of QiPack need to charged before usage, after that, you can use your QiPack power up your iPhone wireless/cordless.

How many times can you charge your phone before you have to recharge the QiPack? Or after charging the QiPack once you can recharge your phone indefinitely?

iphone2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Cool.

How many times can you charge your phone before you have to recharge the QiPack? Or after charging the QiPack once you can recharge your phone indefinitely?

By wireless charging i can charge my iPhone5 1.1 times.
By USB charging, i can charger iPhone5 1.8 times.
It's quite enough for emergency usage.
:D:D:D

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
By wireless charging i can charge my iPhone5 1.1 times.
By USB charging, i can charger iPhone5 1.8 times.
It's quite enough for emergency usage.
:D:D:D

Indeed.

But your thread title says it is complete wireless and you are saying good bye to cables not you can charge without cables for emergency uses. It is a bit misleading.

Again, this mainly applies to people who are not really familiar with technology in general. I can see my gf reading this thread title seeing your pics and assuming she will never need a cable again.

If it serves your purposes then I am very happy for you.

iphone2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Indeed.

But your thread title says it is complete wireless and you are saying good bye to cables not you can charge without cables for emergency uses. It is a bit misleading.

Again, this mainly applies to people who are not really familiar with technology in general. I can see my gf reading this thread title seeing your pics and assuming she will never need a cable again.

If it serves your purposes then I am very happy for you.

Thanks guy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.