Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
I would appreciate some advice or insight as far as producing tracks with a DJ's perspective and way of thinking in mind. At the moment I am using Serato's "Scratch Live" in conjunction with my original vinyl for DJ'ing purposes. Now I want to attempt remixing/producing my own tracks. Are there any DJ's or anybody know of anyone out there with a home setup (software, hardware). I would appreciate your input or guidance. Below is some software that people have recommended on various site that I've run into.

Sequencing:
• Logic Pro (VERY expensive)
• Pro Toos (VERY expensive)
• GarageBand (some say great but too simplistic)
• MOTU-Performer
• Reason

Soft Samplers: (which they tell me are NOT for actually sampling but for working with something already sampled. Huh???)
• Kontakt 2
• ReCycle 2.1

Capturing sounds/Loops:
• Soundtrack Pro
• Audacity
• Bias Peak
• Ableton Live

With all these choices, it's hard to determine what I really need or that's gear towards someone who is not a musician. Thanks in advance for any help!

Oh and yes, I'm using Mac OSX.

~e

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
From what I hear, a lot of djs like Live (also a sequencer) and Reason for the instruments (not the best for sequencing, and no audio input).

When I went fron djing to production, these programs weren't around, had to learn Logic and love it.

And if you're just starting out, Garageband might be a good place to start.

Also, depends on your computer, some of these programs eat up a lot of CPU and RAM. More info might be helpful.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Abelton Lizzzive

Sequencing:
• Logic Pro (VERY expensive)
• Pro Toos (VERY expensive)
• GarageBand (some say great but too simplistic)
• MOTU-Performer
• Reason

Forget all those and get Ableton LIVE !!!!

Soft Samplers: (which they tell me are NOT for actually sampling but for working with something already sampled. Huh???)
• Kontakt 2
• ReCycle 2.1

Yes "they" are correct.

Kontakt is the industry standard sampler. For working with Sounds you have already collected/recorded.

Recycle is the app you use to edit down a sound to make a sample to use in Kontakt. It's been around forever, and it's nice.
There are many ways to get the original RAW sound.

Capturing sounds/Loops:
• Soundtrack Pro
• Audacity
• Bias Peak
• Ableton Live

Forget all those and use Audio Hijack Pro to record/Capture your sounds. (not as $$)

Peak is pretty good if you want to really examine and edit the sounds audio waves.

OR

you can technically just use Ableton Live for ALL of those purposes.

Record/capture your sounds
Edit/cut and paste your sounds
Trigger your sounds with a sampler
Sequence/Arrange your sound
Master and Mix down your Track.

=Ableton Live

Good Luck!

~e[/QUOTE]

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
So, would you say that Albeton LIVE is a much better choice then let's say, Logic Express for all my needs? (squencing, audio editor, synth, drum machine)? If not, what would be a good inexpensive solution of applications to start?

~e

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
eclipse525 said:
So, would you say that Albeton LIVE is a much better choice then let's say, Logic Express for all my needs? (squencing, audio editor, synth, drum machine)? If not, what would be a good inexpensive solution of applications to start?

~e

Yes I would

I run both programs, and I love both programs. The only minor thing about live is that I would use some other app for serious audio editing....but, Live will still get it done. (check out peak 5, or Recycle)

But, if you don't see yourself recording a band say, or real instruments.

Then go with Live...it's that good.

Out of the box, Live comes with:

-a drum machine
-a simple sampler named "simpler"
-a sick soft synth called "operator"
-a ton of FX and mastering plug ins

it's my favorite software.

But that's just my humble opinion.

It's a revolutionary program IMO.

Logic is really sweet too, but for what you've stated you're into, and what you want to do....it's Live all the way....

Enjoy!

:)

BTW, I recently got to use Serato Scratch...and it is F'n SICK!!

with Serato and Live...you will be more than good to go.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
so, i've been looking into LIVE and checking out all the video's. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Graphic Interface(not polished like others) BUT the software itself is pretty sick. I think I'm gonna go that route. Thanks for your advice and input.

Listen, I don't know if you would know the answer but I see that they sell bundles with M-Audio equipment. Now, the LIVE 5 itself is running $499. and with the let's say LIVE bundled with M-Audio's Trigger Finger it's $569. That doesn't seem like much of a price difference for an additional piece of hardware. Is the LIVE you get with these bundles full verisons? Not sure.

~e

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
eclipse525 said:
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Graphic Interface(not polished like others) ~e

Hmmm. The Gui is one of my favorite things about Live. Doesn't look like all the rest. Plus it has two views, hit tab to switch between the two. One is like the standard DAW (Logic, PT, Cubase ect..) the other view is what really makes Live different,..but you'll find out what I mean.

eclipse525 said:
Listen, I don't know if you would know the answer but I see that they sell bundles with M-Audio equipment. Now, the LIVE 5 itself is running $499. and with the let's say LIVE bundled with M-Audio's Trigger Finger it's $569. That doesn't seem like much of a price difference for an additional piece of hardware. Is the LIVE you get with these bundles full verisons? Not sure.~e

I highly doubt it...Live is given away in a "light" version all the time with different MIDI things. It came with my Oxygen 8.

That Trigger finger is going to be my next purchase though..

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
eclipse525 said:
so, i've been looking into LIVE and checking out all the video's. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Graphic Interface(not polished like others) BUT the software itself is pretty sick. I think I'm gonna go that route. Thanks for your advice and input.

Listen, I don't know if you would know the answer but I see that they sell bundles with M-Audio equipment. Now, the LIVE 5 itself is running $499. and with the let's say LIVE bundled with M-Audio's Trigger Finger it's $569. That doesn't seem like much of a price difference for an additional piece of hardware. Is the LIVE you get with these bundles full verisons? Not sure.

~e
My neighbor just got this bundle for $549. It is the full version of Live 5. Helped him set it up last night. Very Sweet!!! He's a DJ just getting into production, as well. Trigger Finger is awesome, very easy to use.

If you buy the Trigger Finger alone it comes with Live Lite which is pretty much useless, IMO.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
So Ableton has some good reviews here.

I am looking to purchase a good all round music production suite, to be used with a Korg Midi-Trigger and a Korg MicroKorg Synthesizer to produce ambient/I.D.M music along the lines of Boards of Canada/Aphex Twin.

Would you guys recommend Ableton to me also? Or is there something else out there that fits my bill?

Rich.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
quigleybc said:
Hmmm. The Gui is one of my favorite things about Live. Doesn't look like all the rest. Plus it has two views, hit tab to switch between the two. One is like the standard DAW (Logic, PT, Cubase ect..) the other view is what really makes Live different,..but you'll find out what I mean.

Cool. Hey, a few guys & gals at other forums have said positive things about LIVE but many are also raving about Reasons as an all in one. What's your take?

~e

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
My experience with Reason, is it is powerful, and very complicated at first glance. There are a lot of features!

I just checked out the Trigger Finger! That looks incredible!

Rich.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
eclipse525 said:
yeah, Reason looks REAL complicated but after listen to Inside Home Recording's Podcast and checking out Paul Garay's Video Tutorial on Reason, it's sorta coming together. They both look great. Hmmm.....

If you want to remix, Live is the way to go. If you want to produce your own electronic tracks, Reason is a popular choice (though I would use Live for this too).

One other note about Live... version 6 is supposed to be coming out this summer, so check the Ableton site/forums to make sure that you don't buy v. 5 now and then have to pay for an upgrade in a few months. You should download the free demo of Live to help you make your decision.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Reason

Reason is cool for sure...It's what I started on

It's good because:

-It's THE way to get started in electronic production. It's simple, and everything is right there for you to use.
-Propellorhead is a great company, with a great site for info
-With the addition of the Mastering suite, you can get away from that "reason sound" and make tracks that almost sound pro...
-It's affordable to an extent

that being said...

It's not good because:
-you can't RECORD your own sounds....for that reason alone, it stays parked in my apps folder most of the time.
-The drums, and presets are "thin" sounding for the most part.
-I absolutely loathe the sequencer....

If I could go back in time, I would have saved my $$ and gone straight to Ableton...

BUT, I owe all that I know about terminology, basics of production and what not to Reason.

That bundle of the trigger finger and the FULL version of Live is awesome...I would be all over that...

And Live 6 is going to be soo friggin sick.....

Have I drooled about live enough on this thread??

Sorry for that...

But it is truely that good.:D

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
quigleybc said:
Reason is cool for sure...It's what I started on

It's good because:

-It's THE way to get started in electronic production. It's simple, and everything is right there for you to use.
-Propellorhead is a great company, with a great site for info
-With the addition of the Mastering suite, you can get away from that "reason sound" and make tracks that almost sound pro...
-It's affordable to an extent

that being said...

It's not good because:
-you can't RECORD your own sounds....for that reason alone, it stays parked in my apps folder most of the time.
-The drums, and presets are "thin" sounding for the most part.
-I absolutely loathe the sequencer....

If I could go back in time, I would have saved my $$ and gone straight to Ableton...

BUT, I owe all that I know about terminology, basics of production and what not to Reason.

That bundle of the trigger finger and the FULL version of Live is awesome...I would be all over that...

And Live 6 is going to be soo friggin sick.....

Have I drooled about live enough on this thread??

Sorry for that...

But it is truely that good.:D

You've sold it to me!

When my degree is out of the way, and i have time to learn, i'm gonna get Live.

I want to learn the basics of recording in and mixing the sound first.

Rich.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
fatsoforgotso said:
You've sold it to me!

When my degree is out of the way, and i have time to learn, i'm gonna get Live.

I want to learn the basics of recording in and mixing the sound first.

Rich.

You won't be sorry...for now you can always rock the demo for a while.

For true multi channel recording and mixing though, Pro Tools is the industry standard. Logic is great for that because it's a Mac app, and the Pro version comes with an insane amount of quality plug ins.

Pro Tools annoys me though, but I'm not recording bands, and multi track instruments. I make my own sounds, my own beats....every sound is created, sliced, tweaked and sequenced, that's why Live works for me.

But, if you wanna get into the recording engineering side of all this, then it would be wrong of me to only recommend Live. Schools will all use Pro Tools, and Cubase/Logic. But, I think Live is the way of the future, and with version 6 coming out, Live may just rival PT's and Logic for multi track recording.

Glad I sold you though...maybe I could get a job as an Ableton Rep...LOL:p

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
quigleybc said:
You won't be sorry...for now you can always rock the demo for a while.

For true multi channel recording and mixing though, Pro Tools is the industry standard. Logic is great for that because it's a Mac app, and it the Pro version comes with an insane amount of quality plug ins.

Pro Tools annoys me though, but I'm not recording bands, and multi track instruments. I make my own sounds, my own beats....every sound is created, sliced, tweaked and sequenced, that's why Live works for me.

But, if you wanna get into the recording engineering side of all this, then it would be wrong of me to only recommend Live. Schools will all use Pro Tools, and Cubase/Logic. But, I think Live is the way of the future, and with version 6 coming out, Live may just rival PT's and Logic for multi track recording.

Glad I sold you though...maybe I could get a job as an Ableton Rep...LOL:p

I'm not interested in recording bands or heck loads of instruments, i want to create/produce/mix/master my own electronic/ambient music.

I think what you've told me, Live is great for that.

Do you think?

I'd be interested in hearing your stuff?

Rich.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
fatsoforgotso said:
I'm not interested in recording bands or heck loads of instruments, i want to create/produce/mix/master my own electronic/ambient music.

I think what you've told me, Live is great for that.

Do you think?

Precisely.

The reason I love it, is that it's based around "triggering Clips" and recording them as you trigger your clips "live"...it's all drag and drop. so, instead of copy and pasting clips or loops, or breaks whatever you want to call them, and putting them all together one by one like building blocks, you just trigger the clips at the times you want, in the moment....Live. and record as you go.

Everything gets time stretched or "warped" in real time, effortlessly.

If that makes sense, it makes for an extremely free and creative workspace.

fatsoforgotso said:
I'd be interested in hearing your stuff?

I'm actually in the process of figuring out iWeb and .Mac to create a site for my tunes. My stuff is based around turntable scratches, and the insane drum program BFD. As well as various breaks and synths. I'm not a huge fan of using a ton of FX and crazy routing. I like a nice balance of "real" sounds and "produced" sounds. And if you havn't heard of BFD, thats another app worthy of a drool thread.

hopefully I can add a link to my finished site to my sig soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.