Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
When I started looking into it, I liked the look of DJ 1800.

I downloaded the demo and liked many of the features, especially the integration with iTunes.

However, due to work pressure I never pursued it and then I bought a desktop rather than a laptop so that ended that flight of fancy...

You will also need to have a good look at your soundcard situation if you want to cue and have full-mixed stereo output at the same time...

Edit: Here are also some other user's reviews.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Not exactly DJing, but I do a lot of remixing. Nothing beats Ableton Live, in my humble opinion. From reading Ableton's forums, it seems a lot of people also use it to DJ.

http://www.ableton.com (there's a free demo to download)

[Edit: Live Delta, mentioned above, is a smaller, entry-level version of Live that is bundled with certain audio cards and interfaces.]

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
I use Native Instruments Traktor 2.5 on my tiBook with an m-Audio 4-channel firewire soundcard, an external mixer and and an m-Audio O2 Midi keyboard/controller...

you can assign almost everything to midi and so I'm able to do stuff pretty fast with the O2 and a mouse...

I also have a third channel on my mixer that I use to plug my iPod or an MPC 2000xl into...

I doubt that there is better and more developed DJ-software out there than Traktor (except Traktor FS which you control through vinyl, but that's way out of my league...)

you can download a demo version of Traktor 2.5 on NI's site I posted on top...

vSpacken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.