Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gambit75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Anyone that has 12 installed, can you check out if DND allows text msg to come through if they are on favorites and it's on. Or at least give the other person the "Urgent" option. I would at least like it to give you the "urgent" even if you are not driving and it's turned on like at bedtime.

gambit75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Looks like I'm the only one that is curious if they finally added this?

Katjubu

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
Works the same as before. Added my Google Voice number to favorites and that didn't change anything either.

gambit75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
seriously so dumb!!! It's been since ios 9 that they should allow this!! How hard could it be to add the urgent now to it. Come on apple!!!!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
seriously so dumb!!! It's been since ios 9 that they should allow this!! How hard could it be to add the urgent now to it. Come on apple!!!!!
Sounds like Apple doesn't see messaging as something important enough to bypass DND. Although certainly with the bypass they added to DND while driving, they could have certainly extended something like that to regular DND (or at least the DND while sleeping aspect of it).

There is the emergency bypass option that exists for contacts that can be enabled to let their calls and messages to go through DND, but unfortunately that doesn't only bypass DND but even the silent/vibrate switch too, which all that good.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
There’s a setting for it in the Contacts app.
6687DF02-3A58-4F83-B0D1-EB3D11152751.jpeg

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
WOW never know that!!!! thanks!!!!!
Wish it didn't play the sound when on vibrate but at least it's a start
Oh wow that's good to know. What a weird place to have that setting. My mother-in-law is deaf and so a setting like this is very useful if she needs to contact us in the middle of the night with repeated texts for an emergency. My wife wakes up to that but I'm a deep sleeper.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Oh wow that's good to know. What a weird place to have that setting. My mother-in-law is deaf and so a setting like this is very useful if she needs to contact us in the middle of the night with repeated texts for an emergency. My wife wakes up to that but I'm a deep sleeper.

It's enabled automatically when you add contacts to your favorites and set DND to allow calls from favorites.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I just hope in future beta release they’ll get rid of the new notification message each time do not disturb is enabled.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's enabled automatically when you add contacts to your favorites and set DND to allow calls from favorites.
Although not quite given that with that calls would still respect the silent/vibrate switch setting, while with the bypass option calls and messaging would always have audible alerts even when the silent/vibrate switch is enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.