Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
Is there any way I can forward ALL requests to a specific host ?
I'm not just looking for *.mydomain.com
but really *

Can anyone help me out here ? I want 'any' web request going to 192.168.0.1
(Its the dhcp, dns AND webhost)

Last edited:

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I'm not sure I get this... Do you have your router forwarding to the standard web ports 80, 8081, 443, 25, etc.? Of course this assumes you have your domain hosting company forwarding all domain requests to your router IP using manual or DynDNS, pointing each XXXX.domain.com to the respective directory.
Maybe I'm missing something. Been a long day.

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I'm not sure I get this... Do you have your router forwarding to the standard web ports 80, 8081, 443, 25, etc.? Of course this assumes you have your domain hosting company forwarding all domain requests to your router IP using manual or DynDNS, pointing each XXXX.domain.com to the respective directory.
Maybe I'm missing something. Been a long day.

Hi Les,

After reading back my topic I understand that Im unclear of my situation.
I have an Mac Pro with yosemite server on it.
The mac pro is connected with 2 networks. One on our normal Vlan so I can access it remotely, and the other one is in a seperate Vlan. This Vlan will be used bu different devices over the wifi, and should not be going over my normal Vlan. (So the wifi Vlan should not get internet either) all requests through the dns of the server must be forwarded to the server itself which will run an website.

I can access the page on my iphone by going to http://192.168.0.1
Or http://video.test

So what I actually want to do is setup an dns name thats acts as an 'wildcard' and forward it to 192.168.0.1 like I did with video.test

But Im not quite sure how to do this on a osx server.

For now it also forwards all network communication to my normal Vlan. Which I dont want.

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
You can try setting up a wildcard DNS record in your DNS server, it would be a zone for "*." (everything from the top level). Add an A address for the machine name then a CNAME for the wildcard.

If you search for those things you can probably find more information that is pertinent to your exact setup.

The thing is, osx server does not allow asterix in hostnames.. Well... It doesnt give an error because it simply can't be filled in :-$

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
You can edit most of the files directly. I used to do this in systems prior to Yosemite... I'm currently migrating some servers and will find out soon if this still works for sure.

I installed dnsmasq on the server, and added address=/#/192.168.0.1 in the config
This # is an actual asterix for ALL requests and will be forwarded to 192.168.0.1 which is my server.

This is working great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.