Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
Do AirPods have a unique MAC address that would show up in the settings of an Airport as an individual device if they were connected to another device on the same network?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Don't think so - they're bluetooth. They'd have a bluetooth MAC, if bluetooth uses them (and i think it might) - but your airport doesn't speak bluetooth, and thus your airpods won't show up with a MAC address on your airport network (or any other 802.11 wifi network).

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Do AirPods have a unique MAC address that would show up in the settings of an Airport as an individual device if they were connected to another device on the same network?
No, Bluetooth devices like AirPods aren’t network devices, and won’t show on a WiFi network.

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
Thanks for the replies.

There was a new, unidentified MAC address showing up on my Airport, and while I was pretty sure it probably belonged to a child’s unauthorized device, one of my grown children stopped by the other night and left his AirPods here. One of the other kids had been using the AirPods, and I wondered if it could possibly be them showing up.

afkpaul

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
No, Bluetooth devices like AirPods aren’t network devices, and won’t show on a WiFi network.
Who are you and why do you suppose "network" = Ethernet/WiFi ?
Bluetooth is a communication protocol. More than 2 devices that can talk to each other on ANY communication protocol make a network.
Ex: Bluetooth bulbs form a network (a bluetooth network)

I am here trying to connect my AriPods to my laptop.. which I am not sure it will work.
But I'll try and do my best to obtain what I want.

sysadmin @ YateBTS.com

afkpaul

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
Possible AirPod's MAC address: 40: DF :29:8E:AC:C1
MAC addresses are divided in 2 pieces, each piece contains 3 groups.
40 : DF : 29 = VENDOR
8E:AC:C1 = DEVICE ID (unique ID of the hardware used)

Usually Apple had VENDOR: 70:70:0d
But as these are HEX and accept only values "0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F" they need to change the VENDOR ID at each batch of new devices basically.

afkpaul

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2022
short answer, yes
Any device has an unique MAC address once they leave the factory gates.
If someone change it.. this is another side of the story.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Who are you and why do you suppose "network" = Ethernet/WiFi ?
The context of the question was whether or not AirPods would appear on a wifi network. The clear answer is that no, they will not ever appear on a wifi network.
Whether they have a unique Bluetooth MAC address (of course they do) is irrelevant to the OP's question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.