Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
A few months ago I spent some time looking at aftermarket car play radios and eventually decided to pass. There were a few downsides, but the big dealbreaker for me was that at that time, at least, car play was wired only.

Now iOS 8.3 supports wireless car play, but I didn't know if it would just work with any existing car play radio or if it might require additional hardware that not every radio has.

If I can find an aftermarket unit that supports wireless carplay then it might be time to reconsider it.

Thanks,
Brett

TMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2015
At one point we had a rental from the insurance company that had CarPlay.

We never got the chance to use it. Why? Because I never carry a cord now that I have my 6 Plus. It lasts all day without issue. I really did want to try it but never remembered a cord.

Wireless CarPlay is how it should have been from the start.

So you're right on OP. Would be good to know if any aftermarket units support it. Hopefully they do. I would invest in one if this was the case.

Got Haggis?

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
came here looking for the same answer. I will totally buy an aftermarket unit that supports wireless carplay. After googling around, there was some speculation that the Alpine ILX-007 may have it, but was disabled until Apple updated iOS with support. I haven't seen any reports now that 8.3 is out though.

Got Haggis?

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
yep, just saw that. someone sent an email to Alpine and they responded with a link to the update notes that show no wireless carplay. So it does seem like the Alpine unit may support it once it releases.

lombax54

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
Looking for the same thing! With iOS9 bringing Wireless CarPlay, hopefully someone will launch an aftermarket unit soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.