Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
I've had a case on my 1st gen iPhone since day one. It wasn't long before I realized my "contour" case scratched and dented and made marks ALL OVER my iPhone, probably doing way more aesthetic damage to the iPhone then preventing it.

Still I kept it on. I wasn't as concerned about keeping the iPhone pristine as protecting it in case I dropped it from a height, which I have many times including more than one "launch" onto the sidewalk.

We've all heard the stories of screens getting cracked. I use a matte screen protector for that (not sure which brand, it was a gift). But does a case covering the entire iPhone really protect it?

Cases are made up of a ton of different materials. My "contour" case is the hard plastic more rubbery feeling on the out but hard on the inside. It's not very thick. Would such a hard rubber even provide impact protection from a drop? Wouldn't it just transmit the impact and stress to the iPhone?

Should we take our cases off and enjoy them the way Job intended?

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
cases only increase the probability that your phone won't get scratched/nicked/cracked. obviously if your phone happen to fall on something narrow enough, face down, then yea your phone is pretty much gonner. There's nothing that can prevent against that, it's just fate, **** happens, life goes on.

I used to have a problem with my cases "causing more damage" to my phone than if I didn't have one around it, but someone pointed out that at least it's not getting scratched even more by not having one around it, so I'll just deal with my slider even if it happens to scratch the bezel a bit.

CarlyLyon

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
the best experience ive had with cases is the one i have had for a year now its a hard case it doesnt make the phone bulky and it doesnt scratch the case... the only problem is that it doesnt have a screen protector. its called incase...

try it out

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
cases only increase the probability that your phone won't get scratched/nicked/cracked. obviously if your phone happen to fall on something narrow enough, face down, then yea your phone is pretty much gonner. There's nothing that can prevent against that, it's just fate, **** happens, life goes on.

I'd agree - I've dropped my previous iPhone enough on the ground to know that the case saved the day many times. Worth the cost. It's nice to get it out of the case and enjoy the design though for sure.

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
Has anyone broke an iPhone dropping it on the ground (NOT THE SCREEN but on it's back)?

I'm wondering if these cases cushion the impact at all. I imagine that is what may people assume that have these cases. I've dropped my phone a dozen times and assumed the case saved it. Does it? Again, not talking about the screen but that's exactly the point, the case usually doesn't protect the screen anyway, that's why you get the screen protector. The case is for the body.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
Has anyone broke an iPhone dropping it on the ground (NOT THE SCREEN but on it's back)?

I'm wondering if these cases cushion the impact at all. I imagine that is what may people assume that have these cases. I've dropped my phone a dozen times and assumed the case saved it. Does it? Again, not talking about the screen but that's exactly the point, the case usually doesn't protect the screen anyway, that's why you get the screen protector. The case is for the body.

It doesnt really save it. I guess it depends on the thickness of the case. My wife dropped her iphone 3g on its back from waist high and had a speck seethru case on it. the case cracked and the glass shattered. had to send it to iphixiphone to get the glass replaced.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
to be honest, cases really only give you a false piece of mind thinking that your iphone is protected but in reality, there are just so many different ways that your iphone can fall and you just really have to be lucky.

There are those with cases who have still had their screens shatter and those who keep it naked and dropped it like 5-6 times since they've owned it and it's held up with some scratches/nicks. Once again, cases only increase the probability the screen will be saved (screen protectors won't do absolutely anything for drop protection but hold shattered pieces together). Getting thicker/bulkier cases will increase this probability by a bit but that's the drawback obviously. Anything that penetrates into the screen during the drop will not save it from anything unless you had like a one inch thick glass surface protecting it

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
To begin with, I tend to be a clutz when I have expensive items in my hands or things that shouldn't be dropped. That's why I switched cases awhile back to the Otterbox Defender. While it adds bulk that I'd rather not have, the protection it offers is perfect for my job site needs and when bouncing off the ground. It's saved my iphone on many occasions.

earth.mark.two

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2009
Well, I think it depends on the places you use the iPhone, whether you're one of those people who are ultra careful, or you're a person who isn't so fastidious with your gadgets.

If you drop stuff alot then you should get one, because yes, it does help. Especially cases with a hard shell, or something like the Switcheasy Capsule Rebel, because it won't scratch your phone, then if you want to show someone how good it looks without a case, you won't have these huge scratches on the back.

But if you don't drop stuff alot, or you're just generally careful with gadgets, the need for a case is pretty minor. Mind you, the back is very scratchy, so if you're going to put it down on stuff, then it's going to leave marks.

It's really personal preference.

By the way, I've got the Capsule Rebel on my phone, but I haven't dropped my phone from high enough to vouch for the protection. But it just looks so damn good, and I'm the kind of person who likes to change the looks of things often, so interchanging cases for me is more about the aesthetics of it ( making it look awesome )

whitney8O8

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
the best experience ive had with cases is the one i have had for a year now its a hard case it doesnt make the phone bulky and it doesnt scratch the case... the only problem is that it doesnt have a screen protector. its called incase...

try it out

When I got my first iphone (original) I sought out the best case and found the incase slider. It was a bit pricey but was well worth the money. The case has a sliding bottom so that you can easily dock it for charging...

Anyway- A few days after buying it, my phone went flying out of my pocket and onto the road. I panicked but when I picked it up, I found that only the case had been scratched. It was such a relief!

When I bought the new 3G I took it straight to get an Invisible Shield put on it. With the new, skinnier design, I did not want to take away from its beauty and add a case. This "shield" is like a screen protector- but for the entire phone. It is supposed to be able to with hold the lashing of an xacto (spelling?) knife. You can look it up -because, frankly, I haven't tried it. However, I haven't dropped it yet either so I am not sure of how it will hold up to that.

If you tend to drop your phone a lot, I would suggest the incase slider. Incase is also making a new case that has a built-in battery.

Hope this helps :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.