Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I am running the latest version of Catalina on a mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15. I installed Retroactive so I could install iTunes.

QUESTION:

I searched and couldn't find the answer to this, but should I delete Retroactive AFTER installing iTunes or should Retroactive always stay on my Mac?

Thank you.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
You can remove it. The newly created iTunes.app is standalone.
It can be zipped for backup/archival purposes and can even be copied to other Macs instead of going through the whole Retroactive routine on them.

Reactions: magentawave

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
You can remove it. The newly created iTunes.app is standalone.
It can be zipped for backup/archival purposes and can even be copied to other Macs instead of going through the whole Retroactive routine on them.
Ok but I have a unique situation here. I need to access music and podcasts on my 7th gen iPod Nano. and that doesn't work with the Music and Podcast apps that come with Catalina.

1) I searched the App Store for iTunes and it's not there. (Again, I'm running Catalina). Where can I find this "newly created iTunes.app" you mentioned?

2) And if there is no such thing as this "newly created iTunes app" (meaning I install Retroactive and then iTunes), do I still need to keep Retroactive to make iTunes work, or can I delete Retroactive after setting up iTunes?

Thanks

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Sorry, I understood from your OP that you had already run Retroactive according to the guide.
1) Download Retroactive
2) Run it and select iTunes (12.9.5) > This will download the necessary files (actually a macOS Mojave installer) and create the iTunes.app in your Applications folder
3) After the process has finished, you can remove Retroactive

Last edited:
Reactions: magentawave

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Yup, yup, already did all of that with the latest version of Retroactive and successfully running iTunes 12.5.5 on Catalina now. It's weird that I could find no information anywhere about what to do with Retroactive after installing iTunes.

So, don't mean to bug ya, but are you 100% sure that I can delete Retroactive now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.