Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I am just getting ready for when High Sierra is officially released and am wondering if I have to disable FileVault on my current Sierra setup to do a clean install of High Sierra. The reason I am a little confused on this is because of the new APFS file system. From what I have read, there is APFS and APFS Encrypted.

Usually this is not an issue because I never enabled FileVault, however, I did on macOS Sierra. Usually I just completely format my drive and install the new OS, like going from Yosemite to Sierra. I just do not know if doing a clean install from Sierra to High Sierra is possible with FileVault enabled.

I would truly appreciate any help or tips on this issue with FileVault. I just want to be prepared when Apple releases macOS High Sierra to the public, so I can get it on my MacBook Pro without any issues.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

:apple:

csicilia

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
I had the same doubt and I installed the beta 9 in a Parallels VM that previously had FileVault activated, after the installation it remained with FileVault and partition converted to Encrypted APFS. If after the High Sierra installation I deactivate FileVault it also change to APFS NO encrypted.

Mighuel

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
Finland
I just put the latest High Sierra beta on my Macbook and it simply converted my file system to APFS encrypted. Everything went smoothly. However after the installation finished I decided to check my newly converted drive with Disk Utility and it froze completely. I waited quite a few minutes and then force rebooted the machine. Everything seemed to work okay and this time Disk Utility also ran flawlessly. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
APFS Encrypted and FileVault are different. My advice (from experience), don't use FileVault and definitely don't enable it in High Sierra. For me, I store nothing locally, all my files are stored in iCloud. If my MBP were stolen, I would blow it away remotely. I would change my vault password manager password. I can't think of any other risks. I will probably try APFS encrypted at some point. Not a fan of FileVault, it presents more issues than it's worth.

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
You can wipe and do a clean install. If you use disk utility in the installer to wipe the disk it may ask you for the password to mount the volume. I wouldn't use a mobile computer without encryption. Remote delete is a nice feature, but it only works if the device is connects to the internet.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
You can wipe and do a clean install. If you use disk utility in the installer to wipe the disk it may ask you for the password to mount the volume. I wouldn't use a mobile computer without encryption. Remote delete is a nice feature, but it only works if the device is connects to the internet.
I value your input. Would you recommend drive encryption or FileVault or both?

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
FileVault is just a GUI front in for the apfs or hfs encryption to make it more user friendly, at least that has always been my understanding. That and manages encrypting a drive that’s booted. I’ve used FileVault since it was released and never had an issue, but I know some people seem to have problems with it. It’s just an easy way to add a good amount of security for little effort, but always a lot further you can take it.

Wouldn’t use a mobile comp without is also a strong way to put it, but I would much rather use it if I could and it’s pretty easy windows and Mac side now a days to use it.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
FileVault is just a GUI front in for the apfs or hfs encryption to make it more user friendly, at least that has always been my understanding. That and manages encrypting a drive that’s booted. I’ve used FileVault since it was released and never had an issue, but I know some people seem to have problems with it. It’s just an easy way to add a good amount of security for little effort, but always a lot further you can take it.

Wouldn’t use a mobile comp without is also a strong way to put it, but I would much rather use it if I could and it’s pretty easy windows and Mac side now a days to use it.
I'll cross my fingers and give FileVault another shot after High Sierra goes live. Ido worry about my MBP getting stolen.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'll cross my fingers and give FileVault another shot after High Sierra goes live. Ido worry about my MBP getting stolen.
I'm with Crash on this... I would turn on FV for sure once it looks like it is stable on High Sierra. I remember your earlier posts and I think you just got bit by the beta blues. :(

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I'm with Crash on this... I would turn on FV for sure once it looks like it is stable on High Sierra. I remember your earlier posts and I think you just got bit by the beta blues. :(
That definitely has a lot to do with it. I will turn it on, as soon as the GM is released, because if I do it now and it takes a week to encrypt my drive, I won't be able to do anything until it is done.

Reactions: Weaselboy

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I had nothing but the trouble with APFS Encrypted with FileVault. On the last beta, I clean installed with FileVault turned on and I got file corruption and Disk Utility freezing (as well as running fsck from single user mode). I would not risk my data with FileVault, even if it means compromising my data if my computer is stolen.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
I've a similar question to OP, but I want to do an upgrade, not a clean install. Should I turn off FileVault prior to upgrade to High Sierra?

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
I updated my 2016 15" MBP to the GM candidate with FileVault enabled. No issues so far - shows as APFS (Encrypted) and works as expected.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.