Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whippedcream101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
Hi so basically the boot of my HDD got corrupt of my MacBook Pro 2011 so I decided to install an SSD so I replaced the SSD with the HDD and removed the disk tray and put the HDD there to wipe later on and use as extra disk space. When i see the disk selection of the storage devices the SSD is not there which is expected because i have not formatted but the HDD is there which is also expected. However, i boot into internet recovery mode and that does not work it loads the spinning glove then after there is a blank screen and nothing happens for ages. Then it just boots into the HDD and crashes. Do i need to format the SSD to install macOS and access internet recovery mode or do i need to remove the HDD from the system in total to install macOS? I need help I just want a fresh install of macOS :(

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Use Disk Utility to Erase the SSD to Mac OS extended with journaling enabled, GUID partition format.

THEN try installing the OS onto it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.