Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
This is a weird thing I’ve been meaning to figure out, but haven’t gotten around to.

Back when everyone was complaining about the Podcasts app just after iOS 13 was released, I was having trouble with it too. It wasn’t downloading podcast episode automatically like it had been in the past, I had to open the app up, then the episodes would download.

After a month with this problem, I got a weird warning message from a third party app. I think it was the app Paprika. It said if I didn’t turn on notifications, that was fine, but certain background processing when the app wasn’t open wouldn’t occur. So I turned on Notifications for that App.

Then a couple of weeks later, I wondered if that was the same problem with the Podcasts app? So I turned on Notifications for the Podcasts app, and low and behold my Podcast episodes were already downloaded the next day when I opened the Podcasts app! And the behavoir has continued... The episodes aren’t as quick to download as they used to be. Like sometimes I’ll be in my car and can’t listen to an episode because it was came out the day before and still hasn’t downloaded. But it’s working mostly fine.

Was that just a coincidence that the episodes started downloading when I turned on Notifications? Or is that really some requirement in iOS now or in the Podcasts app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.