Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
I have an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 10.3.3 and have no plans to upgrade to the latest iOS.

In light of these recent security vulnerabilities, is it in my best interest to upgrade to iOS 11?

I really do not want to upgrade, but I cannot see Apple allowing an iOS 11 capable device to be upgraded to iOS 10.3.4?

Thoughts?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's up to you to weigh the potential downsides of vulnerabilities that might have a chance of affecting you vs. updating to soemtbing that you might not care for (for one reason or another).

Reactions: TokMok3

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I have an iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 10.3.3 and have no plans to upgrade to the latest iOS.

In light of these recent security vulnerabilities, is it in my best interest to upgrade to iOS 11?

I really do not want to upgrade, but I cannot see Apple allowing an iOS 11 capable device to be upgraded to iOS 10.3.4?

Thoughts?

I have learned over time not to trust Apple's updates on older hardware. My 6s is on 10.3.3 and I plan to keep it there as long as I own it in order to preserve its current performance + battery life.

If Apple wasn't so greedy they would simply issue small security patches for the last few versions of iOS (say iOS 9, 10, and 11). This would allow their customers to be secure without being forced to update to the newest iOS version which might degrade their devices performance.

Sadly though this will never happen since it it doesn't fit the planned obsolescence of older devices that Apple needs in order to influence people into buying a new phone every 2-years.

Last edited:
Reactions: TokMok3

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

Thoughts?

You don’t have to do anything but you won’t be able to use things like Apple Pay Cash and All types of security fixes.

Update or not your choice though. No ones gonna try to talk you in to or out of it. Good night

Reactions: silverblack

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you wanted 10.3.4, then upgrading to it while it was still being signed was the only route to it.

So, in this statement you are correct. They won't allow you to upgrade to it because they stopped signing it.

It's the latest version of iOS 11 or staying on 10.3.3. Your choice.

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
I'm on a similar boat as the OP.

Can someone tell me in simple terms what the vulnerability is? I would like up understand how I'm impacted if I do not update to 11.x

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin

Thoughts?
You should probably just stay on 10.3.3 also you should be able to jailbreak soon. If you want to do that.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I would.

I instantly update to the latest IOS version. Hasn't let me down yet. The extra features/revamping of certain UI outweigh everything else.

& now that Apple's been called out over a lack of transparency of their battery throttling, we all know what they're up to & a forced cheaper battery replacement program is in place if you feel it impacts you.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I'm on a similar boat as the OP.

Can someone tell me in simple terms what the vulnerability is? I would like up understand how I'm impacted if I do not update to 11.x

Your phone would now have *many* vulnerabilities and this number would will be increasing by the day. On the other hand folks aren’t out there really targeting iPhones so it is probably a wash.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I would stay - its not like Apple will let you enjoy any of the newer features on older hardware. New features are highlighted only on newer phones and older phones just get stuck with artificially induced slowness.

Reactions: Hal~9000

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would stay - its not like Apple will let you enjoy any of the newer features on older hardware. New features are highlighted only on newer phones and older phones just get stuck with artificially induced slowness.
So nothing new in iOS versions unless they are on the newest hardware?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I instantly update to the latest IOS version. Hasn't let me down yet.
I did that once…

Updated to OS9 on a PowerMac G4 back in 2001-2. Released the day I was on a production deadline for our newspaper.

Crippled the Mac. Had to get the paper out on time with a malfunctioning Mac.

That was the last time I ever "instantly updated". Cured the hell out of me on that.

If I'm stock…I'll wait thank you.

Now you may say that was an update for Mac. Sure. But there's also been two updates for iOS (iOS 8 and 9) where Apple had to RESIGN a previous version because the update was screwing phones up.

Again…I will wait.

Reactions: Hal~9000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.