Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wuubb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
G'day all,
I compose my own music, both contemporary classical and fusion/alternative (much like Snarky Puppy if any of you have heard of them). I have recently been looking into the idea of starting to sell my music on iTunes, not trying to make a ton of money, but maybe some side cash, you know, or just for getting it out there beyond what I currently have.

I was reading the iTunes connect requirements and I noticed that under content requirements it says "20 albums or more in catalog". Does that mean that before I can even start selling my music on iTunes, I have to create twenty albums!?

My compositions take a long time to come to fruition, from when I first come up with an idea to when I've finished mixing it to the best of my ability. Right now, I barely have enough to make one album (of about 8 tracks) let alone twenty. It'll take me like 10 years to make twenty albums, or even longer!

If this is true, I find it almost downright discriminating to smaller artists like myself who either do not have the resources to produce so much music in such a short period of time, or who simply choose not to.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would be very grateful.
Thanks,
Wuubb

NodheadSoftware

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Germany
Hi Wuubb,
A friend of mine sells music on iTunes via cd baby http://www.cdbaby.com/
Using something like this, you can start selling even with one album.
I think there are also other services like this around...

Hope this helps,
Cheers

Last edited:

wuubb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Hi Wuubb,
A friend of mine sells music on iTunes via cd baby http://www.cdbaby.com/

I think there are also other services like this around...

Hope this helps,
Cheers

I really want to try and not use 3rd parties, cause then legal stuff gets complicated and then they cut into what little money id be getting from iTunes as is. But thanks

NodheadSoftware

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Germany
By requiring 20+ albums in catalog they basically say they want to deal with record labels. Maybe someday you will be able to create an indie account like app developers but for now these 3rd parties are your only choice.
Good luck :)

wuubb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
By requiring 20+ albums in catalog they basically say they want to deal with record labels. Maybe someday you will be able to create an indie account like app developers but for now these 3rd parties are your only choice.
Good luck :)

Well, I find that pretty much borderline discrimination for people like me. While I am looking to make a little bit of money, I wrote music because I want to firstly, and for money second. I am not about all this mass-produced stuff from record labels, nor do I want some group of greedy, already rich record label people to try and claim ownership t something that Is clearly mine.

It shouldnt be legal for them to deny smaller people opportunity. Thanks for the replies though.
Wuubb

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Every company that sells and streams music requires that you have a distributor behind you. They don't work with artists directly. Read the terms of service carefully and things will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.