Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Deciding if I need a home security system like Simplisafe. I live in a safe neighborhood and I work from home, where I am most of the time. My family regularly opens and closes exterior doors, so I wouldn’t keep the system armed during the day. At night, the doors are locked.

It’s $15 a month for professional monitoring.

The loud alarm would be a nice deterrent, although I know there are never any guarantees. A dedicated panic button is also interesting. I realize that you shouldn’t put branding outside the home because would-be burglars can hack security systems.

Considering buying just an indoor camera to alert me of movement if no one is home. Maybe even some smart deadbolt locks to ensure doors are secure at night.

Thoughts?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Deciding if I need a home security system like Simplisafe. I live in a safe neighborhood and I work from home, where I am most of the time. My family regularly opens and closes exterior doors, so I wouldn’t keep the system armed during the day. At night, the doors are locked.

The loud alarm would be a nice deterrent, although I know there are never any guarantees. A dedicated panic button is also interesting. I realize that you shouldn’t put branding outside the home because would-be burglars can hack security systems.

Considering buying just an indoor camera to alert me of movement if no one is home. Maybe even some smart deadbolt locks to ensure doors are secure at night.

Thoughts?
All you are doing with home security is making your home a less appealing target than your neighbours. If they have alarms, then you need one. If they have bars on the windows you need bars on your windows.
We had an alarm at our previous home. Lived there for 18 years. No issues.
Now we live in the country. Hardly any point in an alarm. No one would hear it. Truth is we rarely go out. My wife doesn’t work and rarely goes out for long.

Reactions: Huntn and jkcerda

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Definitely avoid ADT. You don't pay for the hardware up front but they get you with ridiculous monthly expenses.

Ring and Simplisafe are the way to go, IMHO.

I have an alarm system and 3 dogs (dogs happen to be the leading deterrent in the US)

jwip

Suspended
Jun 17, 2020
We went with vivint, paid for equipment up front but over all feel like it works well. Most of these types of services are the same anyways.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
You should go your own way and NOT pay a subscription service that be hacked!

get a Synology NAS because you get your own security cameras that save to NAS with no fee and not your Mac!

Look at this example:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

Thoughts?
on top of that get a dog. as much as I hate chihuahuas they make great warning systems as they bark at anything & everything, I of course prefer large dogs like Husky/GS/Pitbulls

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
on top of that get a dog. as much as I hate chihuahuas they make great warning systems as they bark at anything & everything, I of course prefer large dogs like Husky/GS/Pitbulls
Can't argue with you about the dog suggestion.
This was our home security for many years, fast deadly and no batteries required.:eek:

Kayla.jpg

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Thoughts?

I dunno, do you?

We don't have an alarm,,,,we just have stickers on windows saying the place is monitored... To us, that's enough.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Thoughts?
Only you can decide that. But I can relate some of my experience.

We moved into our current home a little over 2 years ago. We were besieged every week by door to door salesmen trying to sell us an alarm package. I turned down all of them until my wife made the mistake of agreeing (for me) to speak to one. At some point somebody mentioned that our security sign out front was old. I had left it there as a sort of 'deterrent' even though we didn't actually have an alarm at that time. So, I guess that was how it was these sales reps knew I didn't have a system.

Anyway, I had already dealt with my home ISP and their monitoring. Turned out it was just a series of home devices, no alarm, and no monitoring for an alarm. They were also inept in installing it. I had to explain to one of their techs what an internet switch was! Anyway, I took it all back.

The guy my wife agreed for me to meet with offered a decent monthly price and the equipment. I wanted a SkyBell doorcam because it's got better HD and night vision capabilities then Ring. All they had was the Ring. So, they came back once they had the SkyBell.

Then we did a dance, because the SkyBell didn't work with the security company's control app. So they had to bring the Ring back. Then they had to install a device to allow the Ring to work with our doorbell chimes. All of that took around a month and a half of multiple visits.

In the meantime, we had our patio furniture ripped off and no recording of it because the damn Ring didn't wake up when it detected motion. Nevermind that it was always going nuts with motion alerts - just not this time!

Here are some things they don't tell you.

- The devices you get or want to get may not work with their control app. What I mean by this is that I can use their control app to lock my door, arm my system or view my Ring cam. If the device is not compatible with their app, you can't control it.

- Ring is a racket. They allow the cops to review customer recorded doorcam video on request. The one upside to not paying Ring yearly is that my video isn't given to the cops.

- You have to pay for any doorcam video storage separately. I can directly view my doorcam, but to save that video and go back and watch it, I have to provide Ring with ~$30 per year.

- The majority of municipalities require you to get an alarm permit. If you do not have an alarm permit and your alarm goes off and the company calls the police, the police may not respond - because you don't have a permit. The salesguy never mentioned this to me.

- 3 year or 5 year contracts are common. You can leave, but you will be charged for the amount of time you had left. Also, what do you do with the equipment?

- If you live in a HOA, be sure to check your CC&Rs and file an architectural request if you need to. Any cameras visible from the street must be covered by an architectural request in our HOA.

Reactions: D.T.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My house is armed up to the gills with tech, cameras, Audio and sensors. That’s mainly because of my career choice for safeguarding and sensitive property that I have inside my house, but I relatively live in a very safe area, but it’s more of a ‘comforting factor‘ for me knowing that when I’m not home, I know exactly what’s going on at all times. For me, that’s reason enough to have surveillance on my house. Ultimately, you have to ask yourself, if it would give you the Piece of mind with CCTV for you and yours, for not also when you’re not home, But even when you are home, but I would say it’s a sound investment. Definitely do your research.

Edit:

(And watch out for subscription services, as they may try to add hidden costs for cloud storage if you plan on saving any pre-recorded backlogs.)

Last edited:

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
save your money
dosnt sound like you need it being home more than average.

where is all this excellent connective technology be in 2 years. In the trash.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I've got a 4K CCTV setup. I had those older CCTV where everyone looks the same on video?, so I wanted the highest rez I could get my mitts on. Just erected a metal fence with automatic gate opener. If the HOA approves (ain't holding my breath), I intend to add automated paintball turrets.

• Love
Reactions: jkcerda

i007

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Tri-State
I’ve had both Simplisafe and Ring security systems. Both work very well and are reasonably priced. I have the Ring system now because it ties in well with Echos, cameras and I feel it has more options within the app.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
- Ring is a racket. They allow the cops to review customer recorded doorcam video on request. The one upside to not paying Ring yearly is that my video isn't given to the cops.
I have Ring and have never understood this complaint. I have a security system because I want to deter crime in my neighborhood. I consider it a feature, not a bug, that Ring works closely with law enforcement. Why would I want my security company to refuse to provide evidence that could help solve crimes in my neighborhood?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have Ring and have never understood this complaint. I have a security system because I want to deter crime in my neighborhood. I consider it a feature, not a bug, that Ring works closely with law enforcement. Why would I want my security company to refuse to provide evidence that could help solve crimes in my neighborhood?
If that is all they were doing, that'd be fine. But police have been known to hawk Ring cams to residents of neighborhoods and to pressure residents to release video when no crimes in the area have been committed. Amazon strikes deals with police departments to promote Ring cams, which they do by posting uploaded videos on social media sites. The result is a demand for Ring cams because people react to what's been posted.

If you won't give police the video, they can go straight to Amazon and ask for it. Amazon says they need a warrant, but some police departments say they don't. Some people 'suspected' of illegal activity, despite not being convicted, have been used in Ring advertisements because Ring had access to the uploaded video.

Then there are third-party trackers that are getting your info. It's a privacy issue.

I don't know about you, but the cops hawking cams for a private company that also gives your data to third parties sounds like a conflict of interest to me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Thoughts?
Do you want or need one? ;) $15 a month is reasonable.

I’ve had a monitored security system for the last 30 years for peace of mind. I don’t live in “dangerous” neighborhoods either. And yes, if you have a security sign up and your neighbors don’t, you are golden. ;)

One thing to consider is that wireless products like Ring, which I have in addition to a hard wired monitored system, is that the Ring like products depend on internet up and running. If internet or power goes off, they stop working. My hard wired system has a battery, and it has cell communications, so power and internet is not required.

I first got a Ring doorbell because I like the idea of answering the door on my phone. My security company did not have anything comparable for my hard wired system. And then 4 months after I got the doorbell, I got an external flood light camera for my driveway. I like being able to pull up my front door and driveway/front yard view on my phone and you could use an indoor camera too to check your place out while absent. My guess is that newer hard wired systems would have these capabilities, but then it’s a matter of how much you want to spend.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Do you want or need one? ;) $15 a month is reasonable.

I’ve had a monitored security system for the last 30 years for peace of mind. I don’t live in “dangerous” neighborhoods either. And yes, if you have a security sign up and your neighbors don’t, you are golden. ;)

One thing to consider is that wireless products like Ring, which I have in addition to a hard wired monitored system, is that the Ring like products depend on internet up and running. If internet or power goes off, they stop working. My hard wired system has a battery, and it has cell communications, so power and internet is not required.

I first got a Ring doorbell because I like the idea of answering the door on my phone. My security company did not have anything comparable for my hard wired system. And then 4 months after I got the doorbell, I got an external flood light camera for my driveway. I like being able to pull up my front door and driveway/front yard view on my phone and you could use an indoor camera too to check your place out while absent. My guess is that newer hard wired systems would have these capabilities, but then it’s a matter of how much you want to spend.
I’d have big issues with an internal camera that you can access on the internet. Hackers can do the same.

Due to where we live there isn’t much need for an alarm. Stealing sheep is probably the most prevalent crime around here.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I have a weekend place that was broken into one time in the past. I have installed Wyze cameras inside and outside with the inside ones set to alert me of any motion. I also have HomeKit lightbulbs set on a random schedule to come on and go off roughly around sunset and sunrise. My intention is just to keep the place looking occupied and record someone if they do break in. The cameras are all on a UPS system so they continue to record even if someone cuts the power. I know a lot of people are dubious of Wyze and their cloud storage but they have become pretty mainstream and I am doubtful of hackers being able to get into their servers and specifically find my place for whatever reason. Anyways, it works for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’d have big issues with an internal camera that you can access on the internet. Hackers can do the same.

Due to where we live there isn’t much need for an alarm. Stealing sheep is probably the most prevalent crime around here.
Our cameras are external. Not sure how hackable they are from the Neighborhood local area, but you’d have to either hack the camera locally or break into my network, I do have a firewall and 30 character passwords. I’m not an expert on this, but it seems breaking into the camera directly would not be practical.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Our cameras are external. Not sure how hackable they are from the Neighborhood local area, but you’d have to either hack the camera locally or break into my network, I do have a firewall and 30 character passwords. I’m not an expert on this, but it seems breaking into the camera directly would not be practical.

Cyber D.C. infiltration on a camera network system is not easy at all and requires specific access (Aside from its encryption network). It’s not something that somebody can just ‘hack‘ into, I can’t really discuss much of it here, because it would venture into PRSI and I wouldn’t want to divulge who may be lurking, but I have plenty of experience with CCTV/digital camera network systems with law-enforcement experience.

More importantly, the only reason a criminal would want access to somebody’s camera system, is if you have internal cameras, not external. The only reason somebody would want access to your external cameras, if they were staging a planned burglary and wanted to know every access point of where your cameras would be located, which doesn’t even include trip sensors a large majority of homeowners have on their windows in addition.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Cyber D.C. infiltration on a camera network system is not easy at all and requires specific access (Aside from its encryption network). It’s not something that somebody can just ‘hack‘ into, I can’t really discuss much of it here, because it would venture into PRSI and I wouldn’t want to divulge who may be lurking, but I have plenty of experience with CCTV/digital camera network systems with law-enforcement experience.

More importantly, the only reason a criminal would want access to somebody’s camera system, is if you have internal cameras, not external. The only reason somebody would want access to your external cameras, if they were staging a planned burglary and wanted to know every access point of where your cameras would be located, which doesn’t even include trip sensors a large majority of homeowners have on their windows in addition.
That’s why I made the distinction about external cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.