Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyphe416

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Hi all,

I've come across conflicting information when trying to figure out if I need a Homepod to use Homekit.
Here is my situation:

• Looking to use Homekit & Siri voice.
  • I have an iPhone.
  • I have a Mac.
  • We have a new iPad.
  • Devices are Sonos, Samsung TVs, and Lutron.
  • All devices are on the same wifi.

In reading, it sounds like I eitiher need a homepod or Apple TV ... although a couple of sites say that I don't need either of those if everything is on the same wifi network. I'm guessing maybe I can set up and control everything from my phone or Mac, if they are all linked by wifi?

Any direction appreciated and cheers!

lyphe416

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Your ipad can be setup as the hub. Here are the apple devices that can be used as a homekit hub.

Thought I'd read that iPad wasn't usable anymore for traditional setups?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi all,

I've come across conflicting information when trying to figure out if I need a Homepod to use Homekit.
Here is my situation:

• Looking to use Homekit & Siri voice.
  • I have an iPhone.
  • I have a Mac.
  • We have a new iPad.
  • Devices are Sonos, Samsung TVs, and Lutron.
  • All devices are on the same wifi.

In reading, it sounds like I eitiher need a homepod or Apple TV ... although a couple of sites say that I don't need either of those if everything is on the same wifi network. I'm guessing maybe I can set up and control everything from my phone or Mac, if they are all linked by wifi?

Any direction appreciated and cheers!
The home hub (HomePod, AppleTV and maybe iPad?) is required for automations, out of home control of your devices, inviting members. I believe HomeKit Secure Video also requires a Home Hub but don’t quote me on this. From what I understand, the recordings are analyzed and processed by the hub.

You can still run HomeKit without a hub but you lose the functions mentioned above.

1675653127984.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.