Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newb-sasquatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Alabama
What is the best way to get the Fitness+ videos up onto my screen. Do I absolutely need an Apple TV for this to be the most seamless or will casting to a Roku also work? What other methods are people using to get on the tv? Lighting to HDMI cord?

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
The only "official" way to use Fitness+ on a TV is with an AppleTV HD or AppleTV 4K box. AirPlay does NOT work at all. Lightning to HDMI cables do not work either. There has been some success with a USB-C to HDMI cable for modern iPad Pro devices working but its unclear if that is something Apple will break too when they realize its an option.

Believe me, I'm not happy about it but I spent $179 (minus a $50 gift card on black friday from apple) on a new AppleTV 4K just for my fitness room TV but it works SEAMLESSLY with the whole family who have Apple Watches and Fitness+ is great with it, in terms of a "fitness equipment" expense and an investment in my health it isn't so bad, but as a 3 year old streaming box the price was absurd.

newb-sasquatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Alabama
Thank you!! Yes, I am weighing the same purchase for my fitness room. Yeah, $179 for a three year old device is what I am struggling with too and comparing to the HD version as well. Sounds like I might just need to go buy one. Not sure when Apple will release the next gen Apple TV. Actually I do, right after I make my purchase ...... ?‍♂️

Reactions: canyonblue737

PFox78

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
Thank you!! Yes, I am weighing the same purchase for my fitness room. Yeah, $179 for a three year old device is what I am struggling with too and comparing to the HD version as well. Sounds like I might just need to go buy one. Not sure when Apple will release the next gen Apple TV. Actually I do, right after I make my purchase ...... ?‍♂️

I'll make a suggestion, which is what I just did. I had the old Apple TV 3rd Generation and upgraded to the 4K this weekend so that I could do Fitness+. I bought a used one on Kijiji. You can also look on FB Marketplace or Craigslist. I picked up a used for $150 and it saved me more than $100 off the retail price. (I'm in Canada. Here, it costs, $229+ tax of 13% for a total of about $260.) That way, when the new one comes out, I can sell this one for about $100 and pick up the new one without much of a loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.