Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Do I need to have AppleTV registered in my Apple ID in order for me to buy AppleTV Apps via iTunes?
I do not own the device and do not see a tab in iTunes for AppleTV Apps.

Two people in the store told me the only way to buy apps is by USING ATV.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Not impressed.

I feel like I will be FORCED into using this at some point.
I went to local store for another issue and found the glass touch to be clunky. Sometimes the swipes would be registered wrong but the click are great.

Wish the old remote or the 1st gen remote / or variation of it would work.

Not attaching a keyb to this = epic fail.

hollersoft

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
For apps that the developer has set up as "universal purchase", if you buy the iOS version the tvOS version will appear under Purchased on your Apple TV. And vice versa - if you bought it on your ATV then it would appear on your iOS devices. But for tvOS only apps, no, there's no official way to see or buy them on the web or other devices :(

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Not attaching a keyb to this = epic fail.

Exactly the opposite. The whole point of this new version is that you will be able to control it without cumbersome peripheral input devices. Including a keyboard would be failure by definition, as they would be conceding that Siri isn't up to the task.

Reactions: ohio.emt

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Exactly the opposite. The whole point of this new version is that you will be able to control it without cumbersome peripheral input devices. Including a keyboard would be failure by definition, as they would be conceding that Siri isn't up to the task.

Then they need to come up with a different way to enter passwords.
Create a ad hoc connection with an iOS device and have a keyboard there.

This also needs some sort of a way to create a profile via a wizard on a Mac and upload the profile to ATV (such as logins and passwords and simple presets).

spinningblade

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
What is the point of this thread? Is the OP complaining that he has to purchase Apple TV apps on the Apple TV? Doesn't seem like a big issue to me.

I do think it would be nice if universal apps automatically installed on Apple TV when I purchase them on my iPhone. (i.e. just like purchasing Netflix on my iPhone automatically downloads that app to my iPad)

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I would like to search, view, and buy AppleTV Apps on a computer like I buy apps for iOS now (via iTunes).

Right now if someone finds a cool app you have to search for it on the device, instead of clicking on a link that would direct you to iTunes to buy.

hollersoft

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
What Adam said. The current situation makes it a challenge for developers. Users can't share a link to the app, because there isn't one, so word of mouth is non existent. Yes we can link to a support website that talks about the app, but having no working "Download on the App Store" button like iOS or OS X apps is a handicap.

Besides the plight of developers, as a user it would be nice to be able to see details about an app (reviews, current price, IAP or not, description text, version history, screenshots etc.) without having to trust that some third party web site (even the developer's) is up to date.

spinningblade

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
That makes sense.

I feel like iPhone and iPad apps can be purchased through iTunes since technically you can plug those devices into your computer to sync and back up to your computers iTunes. You can't plug your Apple TV into your TV so maybe that's Apple's logic on not having iTunes download links.

Can people download iWatch apps via their computers iTunes store? Does the iWatch show up as a device in iTunes?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Do I need to have AppleTV registered in my Apple ID in order for me to buy AppleTV Apps via iTunes?
I do not own the device and do not see a tab in iTunes for AppleTV Apps.

Two people in the store told me the only way to buy apps is by USING ATV.

Currently you cannot purchase iPad only apps from your iPhone/iPod even though both are iOS devices. Don't see why anyone would expect you can purchase tvOS apps from their iOS devices???

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Currently you cannot purchase iPad only apps from your iPhone/iPod even though both are iOS devices. Don't see why anyone would expect you can purchase tvOS apps from their iOS devices???

But I can buy iOS apps via iTunes on my Mac or PC.

Now I do see a big flaw where if I'm on my phone or iPad and see a link or read an article about some OS X app I'm not able to tag it and add it to my 'hot' list or research or whatever... only when I click on the link I see a message this is only available on the Mac App Store.

Same thing if I'm on a PC.

Apple could do so much better.

Reactions: garylapointe

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
But I can buy iOS apps via iTunes on my Mac or PC.

Now I do see a big flaw where if I'm on my phone or iPad and see a link or read an article about some OS X app I'm not able to tag it and add it to my 'hot' list or research or whatever... only when I click on the link I see a message this is only available on the Mac App Store.

Same thing if I'm on a PC.

Apple could do so much better.

Apple needs to blow up iTunes and start over.

Reactions: garylapointe

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA

And that's always been an annoyance (to not get iPad apps on iPhone).
You can buy all of them on a Mac. Even if you don't own an iDevice you've been able to buy apps.

I can shop for clothes, houses and cars on-line, shouldn't I be able to shop for apps?

Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.