Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maluscanis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2002
I'm not sure
My new 1.6Ghz G5 should be arriving in the next couple of weeks and I was wondering if I needed more than 256MB RAM...I have always had more than 512MB in my past computers. I will be using it from everything to watching TV and Gamecube (via Televio...a very neat product) to bookwork, gaming, dvd's, music and burning, etc...

Is 256 enough or should I get more...

And if I get more will the 1.6Ghz be compatible with PC3200 (400mhz). I plan on buying the next revision which will most likely use the PC3200...therefore, it makes more since to buy that kind instead of the PC2700 (333mhz).

MacMarino

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Ram is good!

Well you know how it goes, the more the merrier!:D Im not sure how the new G5's will allocate memory, but you can be sure that they will using it to push those chips to maximum warp. So if you have the money get some more.
Also keep in mind that you can put up tp 8GB of RAM in these machines so Apple must have been working on keeping these things future proof too.

MacMarino

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
More ram = more better. :)

As for the 400 MHz Ram working with your 1.6 Ghz G5, I have an older Power Mac that came with PC 100 Ram, and I put PC 133 ram in there. It works fine. I think you can put faster ram in your machine without causing any problems.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Yes, you need more RAM.

Buy third party from someplace like OWC or go to Ramseeker for some good deals. Don't buy too cheap, it has to be good memory. And be able to work in Dual Channel. Also, look for low CAS latency, like 2.0 or 2.5. Some RAM is 3.0, which is fine if you're on a budget, but for a few bucks more you can get the better speeds.

To be honest, I don't yet know if Apple's stock PC2700 (DDR333) is CAS 3, in which case you can just buy more CAS 3. Or take it out and buy all new RAM at the faster speeds. I do think their PC3200 (DDR400) is CAS 3, which actually would make the PC2700 faster if it was a lower latency. Which means if you keep what's in there already, it wouldn't matter if you bought PC3200 with CAS 2, it would still run at PC2700 CAS 3 speeds if that's what Apple stock RAM runs at, because it will slow down to the lowest speeds.

Now that I've confused you, just buy lots of PC2700 RAM. You'll be getting a G5, with a lot of RAM (at any speed) it'll be plenty fast. Unless you want to pull the stock RAM, and add slightly more expensive PC3200 CAS 2 RAM, it might run slightly faster.

Enjoy.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
I think the 1.6Ghz machine can only take 4 GB of RAM - and the higher models can take 8GB. Which is frankly irrelevant for most people...

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
There is a universal answer to your question. No matter what your situation is...if you're asking if you should get more ram, the answer is always yes!

Truely though, you really do for that system. I'd put at least a gig to start, but that's just me.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
yes, u need more than 256 RAM or you'll probably be saying "this G5 isn't that fast; what the hell!" And yes the 1.6 G5 can only take 4 Gigs of RAM, which should hardly be an issue given what you want to do with it.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
dont you want to use all the same type of ram from the same manufacturer?

maluscanis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2002
I'm not sure
Allright then,
It looks like I will be adding more RAM.

My last question (It was partially answered) is will my G5 be compatible with the PC3200...it is listed on apple's tech sheet as using PC2700. I will be upgrading the g5 in the future so I would prefer getting the faster RAM if I can.

Thanks all,
Simon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.