Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
I have the base M1 MacBook Pro 8gb. Before that I had the base 16 inch MBP. I only had the 16 for 6 months because when the M1 came out I wanted something smaller. I do use my Mac a lot; run a education website in Wordpress and make short video tutorials in Final Cut. Basically my videos are screen recordings, voiceovers, a few audio plugins to improve sound and some background music. The videos are never more than 2 mins long but the projects can get up to 3-4gb. With the 8gb I notice I have to remove rendered files if the project gets too bigs because it freezes, which I never had to do on the 16gb 16 inch MBP. So I certainly need a 16gb or above.

I am thinking of getting the new base MBP14, which I can get with education discount for £1600. However, I am not a fan of the weight increase (I did take a look in store), I wouldn't use the new ports, the screen size would be nice, the new processors are not massive for me because the M1 seems fine. My other option would be wait for the new Air next year and get the 16gb config of that as it would be lighter. Finally, I could get a 16gb Mac mini for my desk for my work use (web design and video editing), then an iPad (maybe the 11 inch iPad Pro) for casual use on sofa and when out and about (can still edit the website from iPad if required).

Does anyone else have a similar use case or any advice would be appreciated?

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
No, you don’t need it.

Why not trade in/sell your current 8GB M1 MBP 13 and buy the same model with 16GB?

Last edited:
Reactions: Minimuz

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I have the base M1 MacBook Pro 8gb. Before that I had the base 16 inch MBP. I only had the 16 for 6 months because when the M1 came out I wanted something smaller. I do use my Mac a lot; run a education website in Wordpress and make short video tutorials in Final Cut. Basically my videos are screen recordings, voiceovers, a few audio plugins to improve sound and some background music. The videos are never more than 2 mins long but the projects can get up to 3-4gb. With the 8gb I notice I have to remove rendered files if the project gets too bigs because it freezes, which I never had to do on the 16gb 16 inch MBP. So I certainly need a 16gb or above.

I am thinking of getting the new base MBP14, which I can get with education discount for £1600. However, I am not a fan of the weight increase (I did take a look in store), I wouldn't use the new ports, the screen size would be nice, the new processors are not massive for me because the M1 seems fine. My other option would be wait for the new Air next year and get the 16gb config of that as it would be lighter. Finally, I could get a 16gb Mac mini for my desk for my work use (web design and video editing), then an iPad (maybe the 11 inch iPad Pro) for casual use on sofa and when out and about (can still edit the website from iPad if required).

Does anyone else have a similar use case or any advice would be appreciated?

I ordered yesterday Macbook Air M1 16GB of RAM, 512GB storage. I am moving from Intel i5 Macbook Pro 13 inch 2019, 8/256. Usage is probably similar to yours, office work, some occasional audio and video work. It fit my mobility wish and budget well.

Reactions: Minimuz

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
I ordered yesterday Macbook Air M1 16GB of RAM, 512GB storage. I am moving from Intel i5 Macbook Pro 13 inch 2019, 8/256. Usage is probably similar to yours, office work, some occasional audio and video work. It fit my mobility wish and budget well.
Thank you. Yes, I have looked at the current air in 16gb too. In hindsight, wish I had bought that instead of the 8gb pro 12 months ago as they were the same price and I never use the Touch Bar and the fan never comes on so I don't benefit from the Pro but would have the 16gb RAM. May revisit the air has I do like portability. I do edit 1-2 videos a day but nothing too taxing.

Reactions: StoneJack

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Well, I looked at MBP M1, but with larger storage in MBA you get 8 core GPU and larger storage 512GB, so it was easy choice for me. I also like wedge design, it makes the computer visually nicer and lighter. My first macbook was MBA 2013 11 inch so I do like mobility

Reactions: adamfozzy

tormac21

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2021
You don't really need it, but there's one thing that the M1 Air/Pro 13 cannot do - run dual 4k monitors. If that's not important to you, you don't need it.

I've been using dual-monitors for 15 years now, and dual 4K for over 3 years. Moving to a single monitor would be a massive change to my workflow, so for me, the only option is the 14-inch MBP. If the Air supported dual monitors, I would get that because I don't need all this power anyway, but it's nice to have it for the couple days a month when I actually do render some videos.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've used the M1 Air and it's a great machine but I wanted more ports, more external display support and more RAM. But an M1 system would be enough for me in terms of GPU and CPU. If you can wait, then perhaps you could get the M2 Air which is rumored to be out next summer. The benefits would be a bigger screen (with notch), and some of the upgrades from the MacBook Pros.

If the M2 Air has 32 GB of RAM and dual external monitor support and more ports, then that sounds like your perfect machine. I'd take a hard look at it as well. I don't mind the weight and size of the 16 as I used to own a 17 but thin and light is nice for traveling.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
You don't really need it, but there's one thing that the M1 Air/Pro 13 cannot do - run dual 4k monitors. If that's not important to you, you don't need it.

I've been using dual-monitors for 15 years now, and dual 4K for over 3 years. Moving to a single monitor would be a massive change to my workflow, so for me, the only option is the 14-inch MBP. If the Air supported dual monitors, I would get that because I don't need all this power anyway, but it's nice to have it for the couple days a month when I actually do render some videos.
Actually you can run dual monitors with an MBA https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/h...5.1634680036.1635687737-1001621241.1635401199

tormac21

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2021

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012

Thank you. I don't use a monitor (at the moment). if I did, it would only be one.

Last edited:

adamfozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2012
I've used the M1 Air and it's a great machine but I wanted more ports, more external display support and more RAM. But an M1 system would be enough for me in terms of GPU and CPU. If you can wait, then perhaps you could get the M2 Air which is rumored to be out next summer. The benefits would be a bigger screen (with notch), and some of the upgrades from the MacBook Pros.

If the M2 Air has 32 GB of RAM and dual external monitor support and more ports, then that sounds like your perfect machine. I'd take a hard look at it as well. I don't mind the weight and size of the 16 as I used to own a 17 but thin and light is nice for traveling.
Yes, a 32gb air would be great. Maybe I'll wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.