Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
My opinion about security and cell phones FOR NORMAL PEOPLE:

Don't worry about it. It should continue getting security updates for another year or two. Apps that are sensitive to security (i.e. banking apps) will not continue to work once security is too weak. At that point, buy a new phone.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Man I really love the Touch ID. It's so nice to unlock the phone while it's on the table.

Anyway I think she'll be ok for a few more 1-2 years or more depending on her apps. We have an 8plus and it's still good as a phone and YouTube device. Same with my 2012 MacBook Pro. yes there's no updates but when you just stick to the basics it still works surprisingly. Hell Safari doesn't work but chrome sure load apple.com unlike Safari. So I think she'll be ok sticking to iOS 16

• Haha
Reactions: AlastorKatriona

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
If your aunt relies on certain apps (e.g. banking app), she might end up with such an app not being supported anymore after Apple stops with security updates for iOS 16. until then she should be OK😊

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
You do NOT need a 5G plan to use the iPhone SE 2022. You can turn off 5G (default is 5G Auto) and just use LTE under Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data > LTE
False information. You cannot sign up a 5G phone for a plan without 5G on any major carrier. Turning off 5G on the phone does nothing except turn off the feature you're paying for.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
False information. You cannot sign up a 5G phone for a plan without 5G on any major carrier. Turning off 5G on the phone does nothing except turn off the feature you're paying for.
What? Maybe its a regional thing but in Europe you don't need a 5G plan to be able to use a phone that supports 5G. The 2022 Iphone SE supports 2G,3G,4G and 5G.
Sure, you can't use the 5G network and enjoy the speeds, but most providers have 2g,3g,4g and 5g support where 5G is an option you have to pay extra for.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
You cannot sign up a 5G phone for a plan without 5G on any major carrier.
Where'd you see this / who told you this? Unless something has changed recently, you didn't need a 5G plan for a 5G capable phone, not since 5G service launched years ago. That's because 5G capable phones are backwards compatible with 4G networks so if there's no 5G service in your area, then it falls back on 4G.

Besides that, all the major carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon) now include 5G service, even on their most basic plans.

Even MVNO provider plans offer 5G (Mint Mobile, Tracfone, Ultra Mobile, Tello, US Mobile, Cricket, etc)

I haven't seen any data plans that are 4G-only in years.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

If you're signing up for a new line, then yes it will be a 5G plan since carriers don't offer LTE only plans anymore.

If you're on a grandfathered non-5G plan, you can upgrade to a 5G phone on existing lines without changing your plan. However, I reckon account changes like adding a line would require you to migrate to the new 5G plans.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Just wanted to update this...

She came over, I updated her iPhone 8 to 16.7.2. I tried updating her Apple Watch but wasn't sure if it took.

Her battery said it needed servicing, has 963 cycles, and was at 83% capacity.

We'll keep her phone for now. As far as I know, she hasn't had issues with running out of battery. I think I have a spare 12V charger and cable. I'll give her that but I don't think she drives much anymore.

Rose XP

Suspended
Oct 10, 2023
I feel two way about this.
1) I would like you to get your aunt a 15pm cos why not ? Best enjoy the good things when one is 'strong'(if you understand)

2) It may be an hassle navigating and relearning some new features on it and if not done right might expose personal stuff on it.

But whichever way it goes, its a win-win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.