Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

podfrog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
Toronto
If Apple drops the port what happens to cars with wired CarPlay? Will MagSafe to USB-A be a thing? Will I need to upgrade my car?

I like CarPlay. I like new iPhones. Not planning on buying a new car soon and would hate to lose USB CarPlay if the iPhone dropped the port. Hoping for some data over MagSafe solution. Any rumours about that?

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
If Apple drops the port what happens to cars with wired CarPlay? Will MagSafe to USB-A be a thing? Will I need to upgrade my car?

I like CarPlay. I like new iPhones. Not planning on buying a new car soon and would hate to lose USB CarPlay if the iPhone dropped the port. Hoping for some data over MagSafe solution. Any rumours about that?

If you want CarPlay and Apple does, in fact, go portliness, then you will need a head unit that does wireless CarPlay.

Depending on your car, you may or may not be able to do so. My 2020 Escape Titanium has a screen that stands up pretty much in front of the dash... so if that happens, not sure what I will do... however, as long as your phone has the lightning port (or USB-C), you should be ok...

I've seen the stories that Apple wants to go port-less... but I am not convinced that it will happen for a while...

You would still be in control of the situation - just don't upgrade your phone to a port-less model until you're ready to buy a new car.

podfrog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2016
Toronto
If you want CarPlay and Apple does, in fact, go portliness, then you will need a head unit that does wireless CarPlay.

Depending on your car, you may or may not be able to do so. My 2020 Escape Titanium has a screen that stands up pretty much in front of the dash... so if that happens, not sure what I will do... however, as long as your phone has the lightning port (or USB-C), you should be ok...

You would still be in control of the situation - just don't upgrade your phone to a port-less model until you're ready to buy a new car.
That's what I thought. Makes the usual $1k, "should I upgrade my phone choice" into somewhat of a bigger life decision.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
There are wireless adapters, but folks have had varying degrees of success with them.
I prefer wired since it also charges the iPhone. Qi in the tray of my car is unreliable when the iPhone bounces. It also has no lag.
I would not hold my breath about losing the Lightning connector.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Personally, I won’t buy a new car that doesn’t have wireless CarPlay for exactly this reason. I really dislike driving in any car that doesn’t have CarPlay, and I don’t want to lose CarPlay if Apple drops the port.

I do upgrade my phone every year, but I would stop upgrading if Apple dropped the wired connection because my car only supports wired Car Play. The wireless adapters seem to be ridden with interoperability problems. More of a toy for hobbyists than a consumer ready technology.

/Jim

Reactions: Craiguyver

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Whole large thread on this forum about wireless converter - as others said -seems for work for some and some cars but not for others and constant issues with software upgrades needed.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Whole large thread on this forum about wireless converter - as others said -seems for work for some and some cars but not for others and constant issues with software upgrades needed.
As I think I posted in that thread. These wireless adapters are not a consumer solution. At best, they are a toy for a hobbyist.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.