Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I guess I can live without a Mac. One annoying thing about Windows laptops is that for no reason, even I leave them alone, the fans kick in sometimes. Another thing is backlight bleed of the screen. Am I correct that the current Windows laptops still make fan noise when left alone or running basic office productivity applications? Is the backlight bleed issue just by luck?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Am I correct that if I get an ARM based Windows laptop, I will run Arm version of Windows which may have compatibility issues with some Windows software just like running Windows using Parallels on M1 Mac?

I am no expert on this but ARM Windows includes an X86 emulator whether it runs on a ARM Windows machine or in Parallels on an M1 Mac. The X86 emulater seems very well thought of AFAICS, like Rosetta which does similar job between Intel and ARM on Silicon Macs.

I use ARM windows because it is the only way to run Windows on Silicon, but I am not clear at all why a Windows machine user would choose ARM over X86.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I am no expert on this but ARM Windows includes an X86 emulator whether it runs on a ARM Windows machine or in Parallels on an M1 Mac. The X86 emulater seems very well thought of AFAICS, like Rosetta which does similar job between Intel and ARM on Silicon Macs.

I use ARM windows because it is the only way to run Windows on Silicon, but I am not clear at all why a Windows machine user would choose ARM over X86.

Quietness is the only reason I consider ARM over X86.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Quietness is the only reason I consider ARM over X86.
There are fanless X86 Windows machines, as in the second link I posted.

Maybe fanless ARM machines are more powerful that fanless X86 machines?

Do the fanless X86 machines not meet your needs?

Reactions: Basic75

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Hi, I guess I can live without a Mac. One annoying thing about Windows laptops is that for no reason, even I leave them alone, the fans kick in sometimes. Another thing is backlight bleed of the screen. Am I correct that the current Windows laptops still make fan noise when left alone or running basic office productivity applications? Is the backlight bleed issue just by luck?
I never had backlight bleed on any of my laptops, especially with the OLED ones. :)

As for fan, yes, they run, but for my Lenovo X series laptops, you don't hear the fan.

I wouldn't buy a laptop without a fan, so I have no idea if you can buy an intel one now... I tried an M1 Air, and that was an unmitigated disaster.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Why wait ? ARM windows laptops have been available much longer than Macs

My wife little Samsung Book S has been great and since Win11 all the previous compatibility issues with 64bit programmes is largely resolved

Most good small windows laptops have a fan less mode option as an alternative

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Battery endurance and built in direct Sim :)

Reactions: Mike Boreham
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.