Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
My iPad 4 arrived today and I purchased a Power Support protector for the front of the iPad. I also bought a Smart Case for protection. Does the Smart Case make any back protection redundant, at this point? I'd like to keep the iPad looking in tip top shape, so if I decided to avoid putting some film protection on the back, would I be alright? Or is it still prone to scratches, etc.? Also, if protection is necessary, does anyone have any recommendations for any dry application protectors?

Thanks!

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
it will scratch alright....I love the "naked" look of an ipad, screen and all, and tried it out that way for a while...no matter how careful I was, I had scratches all over it.....they are small but noticeable. I envy those that dont care and have tons of scratches....I had a problem with my home button not working so they gave me a new one, I quickly covered it up front and back...

Katieg-fm

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Alberta
I've had my ipad 3 since they were first out. I have never used a back protector, only a smart cover for the front when i take it out. I have no scratches. and i throw mine in my purse with my keys.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I got the iPad 3 and the Smart Cover, whenever I set it on a hard surface I just put it face down on the Smart Cover. For carrying it around I guess I'm just careful.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
Any feedback from devicewear union owners? I bought a speck smart shell iPad 2 version as it was cheap for my iPad 3 and it both fit like crap and arrived defective, so I'm looking for an alternative.

soundtracker

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
I like to keep a skin on mine personally, because despite being super careful and very paranoid, I still ended up with tiny scratches on my iPad 2. So my 3 had been protected since taking it out of the box :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
For what I spent On the iPad4, I decided to buy a Targus case for some protection. Well I am glad I did because it now seems more comfortable to handle as well.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Any feedback from devicewear union owners? I bought a speck smart shell iPad 2 version as it was cheap for my iPad 3 and it both fit like crap and arrived defective, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Try the Caudabe Shell. A bunch of people on here have had a good experience with it, as have I. Decent price on Amazon at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/Caudabe-Shell...&qid=1354167875&sr=8-1&keywords=Caudabe+shell

Although I'm thinking about getting some sort of skin and doing away with a back cover altogether. I would NOT leave the back naked, to answer OP's question.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I have applied a skin to my iPad (both sides). However, be aware that depending on the case you get with the skin, the back could get peeled off.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I've always used Zagg Leatherskins, they are really nice. I did get an icarbons skin for my mini though and am really liking it so far. After seeing how easy my aluminum scratched on the bottom of my MacBook, I like to protect my iPads with something.

Txjole

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
I Ghost Armored my 2 mini's. Now I dont have to worry about throwing it in my backpack or anywhere else it may see metal to metal. Small price to pay for "just in case".

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I've got an Incipio Feather case on my Mini. I used my iPad 3 with just a smart cover on the front, the back looked new right up until the day I sold it. I'm using a cover on my Mini more to hide the big "steal my iPad" apple logo on the back rather than any need to add protection.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I've had the third iPad since the first day and I got an iCarbons back for it.

I live by the beach and sand tends to be around... Even if you don't feel it. It will scratch. For me at least... The iCarbons is great. It's still completely naked, yet offers back protection. I've never been happier. It's the reason why I've not bitten the bullet on an iPad case.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I landed on the $2 clear Poetic hard back case for the mini. I threw some Velcro and a tab on the back to move it to my car dash, fridge and elliptical (that I never use). If I didn't have that functionality I might not use a case, I'm just not going to put Velcro and 3M glue directly on the back of the device.

ppark

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
Chicago
There are little scratches that will appear on the back of zny ipad eventually in my opinion. My MacBook has many scratches on the bottom of it as well.

I absolutely love the minimal feel of the smart cover alone on the iPad, but I opted to get a macally back cover. This back cover re-directs sound at you and locks the smart cover to my iPad. I have already noticed a few scratches on my back cover, I'm glad I got it.

KennySmith

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
I strongly recommend to use a back cover for your ipad if you are using smart cover. The finely polish Aluminum back can be easily scratched. You will see hair line scratches on the back, especially on the Apple logo area, shortly after.

Good luck!!

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I strongly recommend to use a back cover for your ipad if you are using smart cover. The finely polish Aluminum back can be easily scratched. You will see hair line scratches on the back, especially on the Apple logo area, shortly after.

Good luck!!

I agree. Doesn't cost much and the good ones barely are barely even noticeable when they're on. I've used both the Caudabe Shell and the Switcheasy Cover Buddy with great results.

Tazzydnc

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah you should definitely get one if you have the cash. I highly recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-Smart...61456&sr=8-4&keywords=incipio+ipad+back+cover

I've been using it with my wifi ipad 3 since week one. I actually prefer the case to the "naked" ipad. The texture on the back grips better, and there's a plastic lip that helps the smart cover stay attached (if you have one).

Good if you don't want your iPad to fall if the magnets detach unexpectedly (I sure don't), bad if you want to be able to snap the smart cover on & off quickly. I flip the smart cover around the back so I see no reason to take it off.

Also, the smart cover functions better as a stand with this case on. It's more stable b/c the thickness of the case changes the angle ever so slightly.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
I Ghost Armored my 2 mini's. Now I dont have to worry about throwing it in my backpack or anywhere else it may see metal to metal. Small price to pay for "just in case".
This. Even bestskinsever is good (and cheap; I can't tell any difference from the more expensive Zagg). It's low profile and gives some grip as well. Naked iPads are slippery buggers. Also easy to apply well to the back. The front was a different story. But if I were to do it over I'd go with matte powersupport, or check out Ghost Armour.

yyr

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
This. Even bestskinsever is good (and cheap; I can't tell any difference from the more expensive Zagg). It's low profile and gives some grip as well. Naked iPads are slippery buggers. Also easy to apply well to the back. The front was a different story. But if I were to do it over I'd go with matte powersupport, or check out Ghost Armour.

Best Skins Ever +1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.