Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
i don't have a problem converting any kind of video file to apple TV format and move to to itunes to video it on my ATV .i dont mind waiting...

do i really need to jailbreak ATV if i don't need to play avi etc format on it ? what other uses are there for JB ?

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
its not fixing it really .. its usually opening doors to new venues :)

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
If jailbreaking allowed me to stream movies directly from my Time Capsule without having to use my laptop's iTunes list first then I'd be all over it. Unless I completely missed something that function is still unavailable and jailbreaking would do nothing for me.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
If jailbreaking allowed me to stream movies directly from my Time Capsule without having to use my laptop's iTunes list first then I'd be all over it. Unless I completely missed something that function is still unavailable and jailbreaking would do nothing for me.

thanks what i am trying to find out too ....what would jailbreaking help me with ?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
i don't have a problem converting any kind of video file to apple TV format and move to to itunes to video it on my ATV .i dont mind waiting...

do i really need to jailbreak ATV if i don't need to play avi etc format on it ? what other uses are there for JB ?

The overwhelming majority of Apple TV owners do not jailbreak it.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
The overwhelming majority of Apple TV owners do not jailbreak it.

i wanted MyWi on my iphone and got it jail-broken , but i am trrying to figure out what would i miss out on if i dont jailbreak...

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
I jailbroke mine, it adds a few different features, streaming of files other than MP4. it adds the ability to have weather and other things displayed on the "home screen". with XBMC i can access my PC over my network and play videos in the my videos folder. it really just depends on what you need. if you want none of these then your good.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
I jailbroke mine, it adds a few different features, streaming of files other than MP4. it adds the ability to have weather and other things displayed on the "home screen". with XBMC i can access my PC over my network and play videos in the my videos folder. it really just depends on what you need. if you want none of these then your good.

thanks... what are the other things which you can display on the home screen ?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

Xbmc can stream movies from the drive

Time capsule is a hardrive inside of a router right?

So jailbraking can do what you described

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Apparently, the only "venue" that jailbreaking makes available that seems to be of notable value at this point is XBMC, for those who want to stream AVI files to their TVs without taking the time to convert.

Myself, I use both my ATVs as they are, as all my media is already in iTunes, and I have no problem leaving my iTunes running on my iMac in sleep mode. My AirPort Extreme wakes it when an ATV needs a file, then allows it to go back to sleep.

You would need to set up a media folder on the Time Capsule, make it an SMB (Samba) share inside Airport Utility, and add that to your "shared folder" list. That could possibly work, although I haven't tried it. Your Mileage May Vary.

A word of warning: Don't try to access your Time Machine backups directly with this. Doing so has a very high risk of corrupting your backups. Set up a separate folder on the drive's root instead, or create a separate partition on the Time Capsule.

Last edited:

chunker

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010

NO

At least not yet.

Plex is still very buggy, and XBMC still hasn't been released for the new ATV2 version.

The jailbreak will diminish your performance as well, making streaming of any kind erratic. And with the release of Airplay compatible apps and sites, there really isn't a need to jailbreak at the moment.

chunker

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
Oh yea

Icefilms

I tried using this when I had my ATV2 jailbroken, but I gave up on it. I hated to click on the Megaupload links, and the HD movies always had constant buffering issues, which made them unwatchable. Watching them in DVD quality wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.

I say skip jailbreaking altogether until all the bugs get worked out, and hope Apple doesn't release a new OS version that's upgrade worthy.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
NO

At least not yet.

Plex is still very buggy, and XBMC still hasn't been released for the new ATV2 version.

The jailbreak will diminish your performance as well, making streaming of any kind erratic. And with the release of Airplay compatible apps and sites, there really isn't a need to jailbreak at the moment.

xbmc the nightly build version works great on the new atv2 firmware

The jailbreak will diminish your performance as well, making streaming of any kind erratic.

this is not true

I tried using this when I had my ATV2 jailbroken, but I gave up on it. I hated to click on the Megaupload links, and the HD movies always had constant buffering issues, which made them unwatchable. Watching them in DVD quality wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.
you hated clicking on a link? only takes less then a minute for the movie to start

i only use this for new movies , R5/SCR or old movies

For HD mkv Movies i use XBMC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.