Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Just got back my iPhone 5 that was stolen back in October and it still has 7.0.2 on it but the jailbreak is gone now. I am curious if it's worth going to 7.1.1 is it? I am not a user who really needs to be jail-broken but I did it because I could and enjoyed it a bit. Any big changes or features I should know about? Thanks.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iOS 7.1 is much faster and more stable than 7.0 so you should probably upgrade.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I'm interested in how you got back a stolen phone gone since October. I think it's great but how did it happen? :)

By most reports you have a big chance of battery life being much less if you update your phone since it is a 5, and the 5 seems most sensitive to this issue.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm interested in how you got back a stolen phone gone since October. I think it's great but how did it happen? :)
Long story short, whoever stole it took it to an EcoATM machine in my local mall and sold it for cash. Immediately after it was stolen I put a message on the phone via iCloud saying something like "if found please call #". This company received it on or around January 22nd, I got a call around March 10th. When they did their processing they saw this message and figured it was stolen and called my house number asking if it was stolen etc which obviously it was. After doing what they asked me to do (police report etc) I had to wait for them to process it as I guess they take their time because they're losing money but I finally got an email on Tuesday the 13th saying they shipped it overnight and I got it yesterday moring. :)

Had to go to the Apple store and get a new simcard-slot and sim-card as mine was missing, they gave it to me for free. I tried explaining my situation to them to see if they would honor my warranty even though it was expired because I haven;t had the phone since October but they didn't believe me I guess even with a police report. So I am still stuck with a battery that has a "fault" that they confirmed yesterday and it would be $80 to replace it. But I will live with it for now, it's not too bad check the screen below. Btw I upgraded to iOS 7.1.1, not a big speed improvement but the 5 is still fast as can be so I guess I just don't notice it.:p

iOS 7.1.1 from 100% to 53% when I plugged it in.
2vt4m89.png

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Long story short, whoever stole it took it to an EcoATM machine in my local mall and sold it for cash. Immediately after it was stolen I put a message on the phone via iCloud saying something like "if found please call #". This company received it on or around January 22nd, I got a call around March 10th. When they did their processing they saw this message and figured it was stolen and called my house number asking if it was stolen etc which obviously it was. After doing what they asked me to do (police report etc) I had to wait for them to process it as I guess they take their time because they're losing money but I finally got an email on Tuesday the 13th saying they shipped it overnight and I got it yesterday moring. :)

Had to go to the Apple store and get a new simcard-slot and sim-card as mine was missing, they gave it to me for free. I tried explaining my situation to them to see if they would honor my warranty even though it was expired because I haven;t had the phone since October but they didn't believe me I guess even with a police report. So I am still stuck with a battery that has a "fault" that they confirmed yesterday and it would be $80 to replace it. But I will live with it for now, it's not too bad check the screen below. Btw I upgraded to iOS 7.1.1, not a big speed improvement but the 5 is still fast as can be so I guess I just don't notice it.:p

Faith in humanity restored. I'm happy for you, mate! :)

On topic, I'd say you do a clean install of 7.1.1 and set up as new iPhone, then just turn on iCloud to get your contacts back.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Faith in humanity restored. I'm happy for you, mate! :)

On topic, I'd say you do a clean install of 7.1.1 and set up as new iPhone, then just turn on iCloud to get your contacts back.
Yeah I have everything back like it was for the most part, apparently whoever stole it tried to wipe it but failed due to Find My IPhone lol.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Just got back my iPhone 5 that was stolen back in October and it still has 7.0.2 on it but the jailbreak is gone now. I am curious if it's worth going to 7.1.1 is it?
What do you perceive as a benefit to staying with 7.0.2 without the JB?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

iOS 7.1.1 from 100% to 53% when I plugged it in.
What have you been using for a phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.