Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I have had iPad Pro’s since 2019, firstly with an 11” (2018) clad within a Brydge keyboard, I upgraded this in 2020 to an 11” (2020) combined with a Magic Keyboard, and quickly replaced this with a 12.9 (2020) also with an MKB. - all of these have been LTE versions as I travel a lot with work.

In late 2021, Apple announced the Mini 6 and I was naturally drawn to its portability and with it having a form-factor to match the rest of the iPP range. So I added one (with LTE) to my kit and for a few months, and intermittently over the time since, I have used it for light browsing, reading and occasional apps. (I also used it in my car for Maps for a while before installing CarPlay). In recent months it has been nothing more than an £800 small monitor for a front of house security cam at my home-desk.

I mentioned having had my full size iPP’s clad within keyboard-cases as I felt that doing so give me more versatility in the ability and usage options of the iPP. However, over the Christmas period, I switched the 12.9 into a folio case and it has renewed my love for the tablet and I’m finding myself picking it up and using it a great deal more than I did when it was just sat on my desk -atop a keyboard case.

I now find myself questioning why I still have the iPad Mini 6 and if I have a future need for it..

Has anyone else found themselves in the same, or a similar position?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I now find myself questioning why I still have the iPad Mini 6 and if I have a future need for it..

The only thing I can say is put it up for a month and if you notice that you wish you had it then maybe it fills some need. From your post, it doesn’t sound like you need it.

My experience was with the iPad mini 4, but I suspect I would have the same issues with the newer model. I can’t find myself wanting to choose the mini over the Air for watching a movie or doing something. I can’t find the situation where it would be more convenient to carry the mini over the Air. It’s too big to fit in a pocket so it’s not truly portable in that sense. I can carry it in a bag but if I’m carrying a bag, then I’ll just put my iPad Air in it. I could carry the mini in my hand, but it’s not really convenient to have something in hand all the time that I can’t put up.

My theoretical use for the iPad mini is if I go to a smaller iPhone and somehow figure a way to carry the mini with me. Maybe cargo pants? If I have a smaller phone, then it would be more useful.

I would really like to hear other people’s use case for the iPad mini and how it works better for that use compared to something like an iPad Air or regular iPad. Maybe I’m just not seeing something that’s obvious

Reactions: flobach and max2

mikehoward

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2015
I have a mini version 6. Do you need it? In my opinion... no, you don't.

I've been seriously considering replacing it with a MacBook Air, because typing on the mini drives me totally off the wall and down the alley and into the street lined with garbage cans filled to the top, all in the rain. (I haven't yet because Apple's trade-in-values have plummeted into the subbasement for some reason not known to this common man)

• Haha
Reactions: VaruLV

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

I've been seriously considering replacing it with a MacBook Air
What? The MacBook isn't the same realm as the iPad mini. That just seems like a weird replacement. I mean, technically, you can do the same things, but there's just so much difference. I truly would like to hear your thoughts on this because I'm confused

because typing on the mini drives me totally off the wall and down the alley and into the street lined with garbage cans filled to the top, all in the rain.
I can understand this because I don't like typing on the virtual keyboard for more difficult things. If I'm sending a short text message, sure it's fine but I don't want to type out a college paper on a touchscreen.

(I haven't yet because Apple's trade-in-values have plummeted into the subbasement for some reason not known to this common man)
While Apple's trading values have gone down recently, they've never been good. Sell it on Craigslist, Facebook, marketplace, or some other online marketplace. Of course make sure to meet indoors at a public place and only accept cash. Do not take Venmo or any similar method because you can be scammed. I have accepted Venmo in the past but I tell others not to because there are bad people and it's not worth being scammed

Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I have had iPad Pro’s since 2019, firstly with an 11” (2018) clad within a Brydge keyboard, I upgraded this in 2020 to an 11” (2020) combined with a Magic Keyboard, and quickly replaced this with a 12.9 (2020) also with an MKB. - all of these have been LTE versions as I travel a lot with work.

In late 2021, Apple announced the Mini 6 and I was naturally drawn to its portability and with it having a form-factor to match the rest of the iPP range. So I added one (with LTE) to my kit and for a few months, and intermittently over the time since, I have used it for light browsing, reading and occasional apps. (I also used it in my car for Maps for a while before installing CarPlay). In recent months it has been nothing more than an £800 small monitor for a front of house security cam at my home-desk.

I mentioned having had my full size iPP’s clad within keyboard-cases as I felt that doing so give me more versatility in the ability and usage options of the iPP. However, over the Christmas period, I switched the 12.9 into a folio case and it has renewed my love for the tablet and I’m finding myself picking it up and using it a great deal more than I did when it was just sat on my desk -atop a keyboard case.

Indeed you do still need your IPad Mini 6

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

Wait for 3 months. If it had been 3 months without much usage, it indicates you don’t need it.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth

I've been seriously considering replacing it with a MacBook Air, because typing on the mini drives me totally off the wall and down the alley and into the street lined with garbage cans filled to the top, all in the rain. (I haven't yet because Apple's trade-in-values have plummeted into the subbasement for some reason not known to this common man)
I'm not sure if we have different hands, but mini typing feels fine when you get used to it. If you're *really* put off by the flat keyboard, you could invest in a bluetooth one.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I have an 11” ipad pro that I use for all my creative projects, web surfing & media consumption. But I also have & love an ipad mini 6 for when I want to travel really light. It’s a great & very portable digital sketchbook with the Apple pencil and much more enjoyable to create on and surf the web on than my iphone pro max while on the road. So yeah, for me at least, there is a definite use case for hanging onto the iPad mini 6.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have an 11” IPP M1 with MKB. I recently picked up a Mini 6 as Best Buy had them for $100 off. My IPP primarily stays on MKB during the day I use it as laptop (even though I have a MBP) during the day when I’m WFH for web browsing, messaging, social media and streaming music/video. I have been using the Mini 6 mainly at night when I’m on the couch and leave my iPhone on the table.

I‘ll reassess in a month or two if my Mini is getting the same use as it is now or it’s just the ”newness” of the device. I will say the Mini is much more comfortable to hold, especially for reading compared to my IPP when I’m on the couch.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020

You have the wrong device for your needs! iPad Mini is absolutely not for typing on at any length. On bigger iPads its more reasonable, but yeah, if you're typing for any real length at all you need either a laptop or at least a bluetooth keyboard for your iPad. The Minis are consumption devices, even more specifically, I'd say, they're for people who do more reading than watching and also want maximum portability. If you watch a lot on it, you want a bigger screen, and if you're not traveling loads with it, you might as well also get a bigger screen. For me it's perfect for reading articles and comics, and occassionally watching stuff on trains and planes. I couldn't replace it with a MacBook Air, but I'm fortunate enough that my work provides me with an Air so the iPad is a complementary device.

Also on the trade-in values, just don't trade-in with Apple unless you're very lazy or have a very very good specific reason to. Sell it yourself on eBay or Facebook Market or just on the street shouting "iPad for sale", you'll get much better value than from Apple.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I use my iPad mini 6 for reading. Both the web and books. I don't find iPadOS useful for much else. I tried for a few years to find a way to make an iPad Pro useful because it had so much better battery life than an Intel MacBook Pro but with the release of Apple silicon MacBooks, I stopped trying to make iPadOS work for me. It wasn't worth the effort.

I do find the iPad mini useful as a reading device though.

Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
My theoretical use for the iPad mini is if I go to a smaller iPhone and somehow figure a way to carry the mini with me. Maybe cargo pants? If I have a smaller phone, then it would be more useful.

I would really like to hear other people’s use case for the iPad mini and how it works better for that use compared to something like an iPad Air or regular iPad. Maybe I’m just not seeing something that’s obvious
I’m a professor who teaches, does field observations, and as a director for a campus institute has LOTS of meetings. I had been looking for a device to help me plan and deliver lessons, read and take notes while reading, take notes in meetings, and take notes in the field. I really like brainstorming and note taking by hand, so the Apple Pencil is an important piece.

For a year-plus I tried an iPP 12.9” with a Magic Keyboard. It was good for many of my tasks but I got frustrated that I still needed to use my desktop but there was so much overlap between those devices.

I got enough grant funding to purchase an iPad mini 6, M1 macbook air, and some great external monitors for both campus offices and my home office. The MacBook Air lets me do all the heavy computer tasks (mostly serious writing and intensive lesson prep) while I can do most everything else on my iPad mini. I use it to take notes in meetings and the field (shout out to NotePlan!) usually using the Apple Pencil.

[side note: it’s taken me a while to figure out my case situation. I currently have paper like screen protector and dbrand skins for protection and some traction, and just added a ringke adhesive pencil holder on the back for security. Loving it]

Usually when I walk into a meeting or field observation I’m just carrying my iPad mini. When I’m reading an ebook, it’s on the iPad mini. When I’m reading a traditional text the iPad is next to me. I teach via Google classroom so everything is there; I’m usually holding my iPad mini as I teach.

It’s all worked out so well that I went for the iPhone 13 mini last year when a 14 mini wasn’t released. I’ve got a MagSafe case and the magbak wallet. It’s entirely feasible that I can go to work fully prepared for my day, carrying just those two devices.

Of course I also do take my MacBook Air most places. I’ve got a backpack from Thread and it has this front pocket that I swear was designed to hold an iPad mini. And there’s a side pocket perfect for an iPhone. And a laptop sleeve. So I often walk around with that most of the day, and pick the device that best fits whatever moment. iPhone for quick checks or most texting. iPad for notes and teaching and reading. MacBook Air for more intensive or complicated tasks.

That’s my setup and I’m loving it.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

Only you can answer the question. I have a Mini 6 and use it daily and love it. I don’t have any other iPads only a iPhone and Mac.

Reactions: VaruLV and scsskid

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I had the Mini 6 which I loved, and every size since the iPad was introduced, but for me the 11” IPP is the perfect size. I’m using the Brydge Max+ keyboard and it does add weight, but I much prefer it over the MK.

As other have pointed out, only you can determine if the Mini 6 will fit some added need to your routine.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Need is a strong word to use. I don't need most of my devices. Some duplicate functions of other devices such as owning two iPads and some could be replaced with much cheaper devices such as replacing my MacBook with a Chromebook or my iPhone with a cheap android phone. I have these devices because I want them.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have the cellular Mini 6 and find it to be the perfect portable companion to my M1 12.9.
I have the mini 6 and iPad Pro 11. Definitely can find a use case for both. I don't think I'd pick one over the other. Since 2014 I've always had a mini and larger iPad though.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Need is a strong word to use. I don't need most of my devices. Some duplicate functions of other devices such as owning two iPads and some could be replaced with much cheaper devices such as replacing my MacBook with a Chromebook or my iPhone with a cheap android phone. I have these devices because I want them.
Well said. And per the OP’s question, what happens to the iPad mini if we vote that he neither needs nor deserves it?, Lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
A few months ago I bought the mini 6 even though I have an 11 inch pro. I wanted to use it to read books comfortably and still have access to my email, messages, etc.

it worked out well for a week or two. It is nice to read on it. But when I have a quick minute to read, I more often have my phone. It’s not as nice to read on as the mini, but I have it with me Instead of having to go and grab the mini.

i haven’t touched the mini In months. Plus, the screen sucks compared to my pro. I’m definitely thinking about selling the mini.
the form factor is great. But if I need to work, I need the 11. And if I have some time to read, I have my phone with me.

going to grab the mini is an inconvenience and I can’t carry it with me because it’s too big.

it’s a neat little device but I just can’t find it convenient enough to use and the screen sucks compared to my phone and iPad Pro.

for me, it’s a pointless device.

• Angry
Reactions: jwolf6589

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
A few months ago I bought the mini 6 even though I have an 11 inch pro. I wanted to use it to read books comfortably and still have access to my email, messages, etc.

it worked out well for a week or two. It is nice to read on it. But when I have a quick minute to read, I more often have my phone. It’s not as nice to read on as the mini, but I have it with me Instead of having to go and grab the mini.

i haven’t touched the mini In months. Plus, the screen sucks compared to my pro. I’m definitely thinking about selling the mini.
the form factor is great. But if I need to work, I need the 11. And if I have some time to read, I have my phone with me.

going to grab the mini is an inconvenience and I can’t carry it with me because it’s too big.

it’s a neat little device but I just can’t find it convenient enough to use and the screen sucks compared to my phone and iPad Pro.

for me, it’s a pointless device.
The screen on my Mini 6 is fine for me. I dont know what I would do without the Mini as I use it daily. It's very nice and far nicer to read on than my iPhone 13.

Hallstar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Thank you to all that replied. Abit of a mixed bag, but the consensus seems to be that I should keep it.

I chose to sell it.

My step-son expressed interest in an iPad, I put my 12.9, his Mums 11 and my Mini 6 in front of him so he could gain a feel for the size options. He was drawn to the Mini 6 due to its portability, so I offered it to him for a very good price (in his favour!)

Being honest though, when resetting it and packing it up for him, I found myself questioning whether I was doing the right thing, as it is a lovely device. If I ever find a need for one again, I will just get another. (It is a buyers market for them on FB Marketplace!)

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
The screen on my Mini 6 is fine for me. I dont know what I would do without the Mini as I use it daily. It's very nice and far nicer to read on than my iPhone 13.
Do you get screen lag when opening and closing apps? Like you can see the jittering, it’s not smooth like 120hz display iPhones and iPad pros?

I thought I had a defective model, but others say it’s the 60hz display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.