Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
If i use Caseta switches and remotes for some lights and Hue bulbs for other lights, and i want Siri compatibility, do i need to use an Apple TV along with the hubs from each respective manufacturer?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I think you only need an Apple TV if you 1) Want to use Siri/HomeKit while you are away from home, and 2) You have pre-iOS 9 devices.

A.

Reactions: aristobrat

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
I think you only need an Apple TV if you 1) Want to use Siri/HomeKit while you are away from home, and 2) You have pre-iOS 9 devices.

A.
Correct, the Apple TV is only to be able to use Siri while you're away from home. As far as I know, there are no HomeKit devices out there that don't require the Apple TV to give you Siri access away from home.

You'll always need the device's hub for it to work (Hue bridge, Caseta bridge). But you don't need an Apple TV if you only plan on using Siri at home. Just if you want to use it when you're away.

iOS 9 now allows devices to not need the Apple TV for remote Siri access, but I don't think any products have been released with that capability yet.

Reactions: slipper

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Correct, the Apple TV is only to be able to use Siri while you're away from home. As far as I know, there are no HomeKit devices out there that don't require the Apple TV to give you Siri access away from home.

You'll always need the device's hub for it to work (Hue bridge, Caseta bridge). But you don't need an Apple TV if you only plan on using Siri at home. Just if you want to use it when you're away.

iOS 9 now allows devices to not need the Apple TV for remote Siri access, but I don't think any products have been released with that capability yet.
That is my understanding as well that with IOS 9 it allows devices not to require AppleTV to communicate remotely - but it seems that these devices will require new hardware or maybe a software update to do this.

This article imply they if you have IOS 9 then you don't require an AppleTV for remote access. I don't think it is correct though.

http://m.imore.com/everything-you-need-know-about-apple-tv-and-homekit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.