Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I am planning to update my iPad 2 which has iOS6 installed.
I need to upgrade to iOS8 due to certain apps, but wondered if iOS 6 devices held any valued to those who still prefer it?

What I am asking is, would it be better for me financially to sell the iPad 2 with is on it and buy a new second hand iPad that has been updated, or simply update my own?

Delmar

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Texas
I would sell it as is. I specifically bought my iPad 4th Gen since it had not been updated & came with iOS 6.1.3 on it. iOS 8 will ruin the iPad 2.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Depends how you sell it, if you go to eBay I highly doubly the increase in value because of iOS 6 would be able to offset the fees associated with eBay and PayPal.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I can't imagine the financial gain to be significant enough to go through that procedure. Especially if your iPad is in good condition. I helped a friend upgrade his iPad 2 to iOS 8. It was horribly slow. The updates did improve it. I went back and did further tweaks - the hard reset actually sped it up. He's quite happy with it now and I notice that it's FAR better than it was on the original iOS 8 upgrade.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
i recently sold an iPhone 3GS 16 gb unlocked on eBay for $55 , woo hoo
its an iOS 6 device

i bought it from powermac for $65, unlocked it, sold it 6 months later for $10 less. heh

oh i almost forgot

i purchased the 3gs in may of 2014 and sold it on eBay in december 2014. some people might find the time frame important

Last edited:

byke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Maybe I spoke too soon.
After owning the same iPad for numerous years, it ****** the bed this evening.
And resulted in me having to update it to iOS 8 as it wouldn't boot.
Only after a DFU and a restore would it work.

I haven't really used it yet, as I am awaiting for an over the air backup to install.
But can say it does seem slower than before.

Oh well......
Hopefully this can last me until the maxi iPad gets released.

Cheers for all the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.