Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I previously had a 6s & it worked on any carrier. I read this somewhere:

iPhone models 5c, 5s, 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+ & SE were designed to support all major network bands and are compatible with all major network providers. No matter GSM or CDMA, Sprint, or Verizon, these iPhone models will work on any carrier.

I ordered this iPhone 8 (A1683) since I’m on VZW, from Amazon. Of course they sent me this A1905 GSM model instead. I did put my VZW SIM card in & for the most part it’s working, I’m seeing LTE.

I thought iPhones 7 & up only worked on one carrier or the other? Someone told me I had to have the A1683 since I’m on VZW? Should I return the phone, which I’d rather not go through the hassle of doing or am I fine & can just continue using it? Am I missing anything important by not being on the A1683 model, could I run into any problems?

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I previously had a 6s & it worked on any carrier. I read this somewhere:

iPhone models 5c, 5s, 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+ & SE were designed to support all major network bands and are compatible with all major network providers. No matter GSM or CDMA, Sprint, or Verizon, these iPhone models will work on any carrier.

I ordered this iPhone 8 (A1683) since I’m on VZW, from Amazon. Of course they sent me this A1905 GSM model instead. I did put my VZW SIM card in & for the most part it’s working, I’m seeing LTE.

I thought iPhones 7 & up only worked on one carrier or the other? Someone told me I had to have the A1683 since I’m on VZW? Should I return the phone, which I’d rather not go through the hassle of doing or am I fine & can just continue using it? Am I missing anything important by not being on the A1683 model, could I run into any problems?
https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Verizon has started to allow devices that don't support CDMA but support LTE on their network, but they will only work where there's LTE coverage essentially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.