Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

droplink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
I don't understand this.
Maybe I am getting something wrong here, but do light sensors simply not exist?

I currently have an IKEA setup with a gateway, lights, switches, bulbs etc. but as it is buggy AF (It may be cheap, and it has a wide range of devices, but its frustratingly buggy, so I cannot recommend it)
But I am considering to switching to Philips Hue, as (hopefully) it is less buggy and has better software too.

But neither has a light sensor (?)
I want to place a sensor, and have my lights turn on when it is dark outside.

Why is this not possible? The hardware is already inside the movement sensors, since they can be programmed to turn on when there is movement AND it is dark, but not when there is movement AND it is light.
So what gives?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
I definitely haven’t seen many light sensors, are you using HomeKit with your devices?

If so I use the sunset automation and it works perfectly and adjusts automatically with time changes.

6B534A5A-023B-41F3-A403-80F1915A12F4.jpeg

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
The Philips hue motion sensor definitely has a light sensor integrated.
Just had a look, Mr.Blacky is spot on if you look at Phillips product description:

Daylight sensor detects light​

The Hue Motion sensor's integrated daylight sensor detects when there is still enough daylight so that lights do not turn on until you need them. If it's still too dark, adjust the light sensitivity of the sensor in the Philips Hue app to personalize when you'd like the motion sensor to activate.

droplink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
I could be wrong, but the way I read it, is that it simply does not flip the lights when its light (?)
Same thing the IKEA sensor does..

Sadly, the Apple Home app Sunset automation is not that good. It can for obvious reasons not take into account things like cloudy days and passing rain clouds etc. :(

Reactions: WP31

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I could be wrong, but the way I read it, is that it simply does not flip the lights when its light (?)

Sadly, the Apple Home app Sunset automation is not that good. It can for obvious reasons not take into account things like cloudy days and passing rain clouds etc. :(
If you’re using HomeKit, there is an actual numeric light level (Lux) that is exposed in which you can create automations to trigger a smart light.

For example, when Lux drops to 5, turn the lights on. In the Eve app, you can even add extra conditions like when the Lux drops to 5 and motion is present, turn the lights on and vice versa.

All the Logitech cameras have a light sensor that’s exposed to HomeKit which is what I use. Also, in places I don’t have a camera, like bathrooms, I use a dedicated Mijia light sensor that’s exposed to HomeKit via the Aqara hub.

Reactions: dotme

Meuti

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2019

The IKEA Motion Sensors actually can be set to turn on a connected light only when it's dark. I think it won't work in the Home App (nor the IKEA App). You have to open the backside lid of the sensor and push the button to make the little moon symbol light up (instead of the sun symbol). Now (if the sensor is connected to a certain lamp) the lamp will only turn on if it's dark and not during day time (unless it's a very dark day ^^).

Edit: Sorry! I think I misunderstood what you wanted… In my case above the light will only turn on when a motion is recognized and it's dark. But you want it to turn on on it's own as soon as the room gets dark, so without any movement involved?

Last edited:

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
If you’re using HomeKit, there is an actual numeric light level (Lux) that is exposed in which you can create automations to trigger a smart light.
This. Hue motion sensors all provide Lux values that can be used to trigger automations. The native Home app on iOS, however, won't let you build a pure Lux-based automation (as of iOS 15).

The (free) Eve app will, as will Hesperus (also free) and Controller (paid) though.

When building your automation, you need a trigger and at least one condition. The trigger for a pure Lux-based automation is "Light Level is ANY" (So any change in light level prompts a check for a condition) and then the condition would be "Light Level less than x Lux" where x is your threshold.

I run several indoor light level automations (when someone is home) that turn lights on when a room gets dark, whether due to time of day or storm, etc. I'm sure the same could be applied to an outdoor setup. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This. Hue motion sensors all provide Lux values that can be used to trigger automations. The native Home app on iOS, however, won't let you build a pure Lux-based automation (as of iOS 15).

The (free) Eve app will, as will Hesperus (also free) and Controller (paid) though.

When building your automation, you need a trigger and at least one condition. The trigger for a pure Lux-based automation is "Light Level is ANY" (So any change in light level prompts a check for a condition) and then the condition would be "Light Level less than x Lux" where x is your threshold.

I run several indoor light level automations (when someone is home) that turn lights on when a room gets dark, whether due to time of day or storm, etc. I'm sure the same could be applied to an outdoor setup. Hope this helps.
Sorry to sidetrack but what’s that Hesperus app? Just checked the App Store and couldn’t find it. I already have Home+, Controller and Eve and like to check out new HomeKit apps. Thanks.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Sorry to sidetrack but what’s that Hesperus app? Just checked the App Store and couldn’t find it. I already have Home+, Controller and Eve and like to check out new HomeKit apps. Thanks.

Not exactly new lol - In fact, maybe it got pulled with Apple's new rules about regular updates for apps. I have it on my iPhone but there haven't been any updates for a very long time. You're not missing much, it was just a good alternative to the Home app when HomeKit first got rolling.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

Not exactly new lol - In fact, maybe it got pulled with Apple's new rules about regular updates for apps. I have it on my iPhone but there haven't been any updates for a very long time. You're not missing much, it was just a good alternative to the Home app when HomeKit first got rolling.
I meant new to me lol. Thanks for the info. I clicked on the link to the article and seeing the pics, I vaguely remember it now. Not sure the three main ones can be topped anyway (Eve, Home+, Controller). Just wish they had the AirPlay devices as well (TVs, AppleTVs, HomePods, etc…)

droplink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Thanks guys. So the sonsors exist, but Apple's HomeKit is not smart enough to use it, and you have to use extra apps for it. :( Well, I will look into it and try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.