Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Hi all,

Quick question. Does anyone know if the current Mac minis support audio through the USB-A ports? I know the USB-C ports support audio, but wondered if the USB-A ports do as well or whether they are just data and power.

Many thanks.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The Type-C ports are all the way backward compatible to USB 1.0, of coure they are class compliant to USB Audio 2.0.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
The Type-C ports are all the way backward compatible to USB 1.0, of coure they are class compliant to USB Audio 2.0.
I'm asking about the two USB-A ports. Do you know if they can carry audio?

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
What do you mean by audio over A?
I'm just curious, I had to pull out my Behringer UCA-202 because I found out the M2 Mini doesn't have audio in built in.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Hi all,

Quick question. Does anyone know if the current Mac minis support audio through the USB-A ports? I know the USB-C ports support audio, but wondered if the USB-A ports do as well or whether they are just data and power.

Many thanks.
Well in a studio ultra they do. I have a USB A USB B cable to my integrated amplifier.

Reactions: gusping

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I'm just curious, I had to pull out my Behringer UCA-202 because I found out the M2 Mini doesn't have audio in built in.
As in USB-A (i.e. the old fashioned rectangle ports) are able to carry audio. So I can have headphones connected to the 3.5mm jack and speakers connected via USB-A.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
As in USB-A (i.e. the old fashioned rectangle ports) are able to carry audio. So I can have headphones connected to the 3.5mm jack and speakers connected via USB-A.
Technically, they just carry data, and the data can include digital audio. You need a USB audio device to convert it to sound.
That could be a cheap $20 hub with a built-in audio output, or a $1500 professional studio audio interface, or anywhere in between.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Technically, they just carry data, and the data can include digital audio. You need a USB audio device to convert it to sound.
That could be a cheap $20 hub with a built-in audio output, or a $1500 professional studio audio interface, or anywhere in between.
Most DACs have a USB-B connection.......well the integrated amplifiers I have used do. And at the moment I am using this cable:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ruftzooi

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
USB Audio at most is spec'ed at class 2 which only requires USB2.0, not even USB 3.x, and Apple's USB type-A ports have been USB 3.0 or more since 2012.

The reason OP asked the original question is probably because there are other devices out there where the type-A ports are just for charging or other power related roles, especially when there are TB/type-C ports on the mini which obviously are the more "primary" ports. Well I mean in fact they are, the type-A ports are inferior, but they are well beyond what's needed for proper USB Audio.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I don't need it to sound amazing, so if something as simple as a a USB-A to 3.5mm jack adapter works, then great. But it's not the end of the world if I need something more substantial like this USD DAC (e.g. £80 AudioQuest Dragonfly Black DAC) then it isn't a huge issue.

Tomwilmeth

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2024
Hi all,

Many thanks.
I am using the Usb-A port on an M2 mac mini to feed a signal to my external DAC.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
As in USB-A (i.e. the old fashioned rectangle ports) are able to carry audio.
The USB org has a specification for "Audio" over USB, which is just a specific application of the USB capability.

Because in the big wide world of consumer electronics one must assume a consumer does not know, and does not want to know, the actual inner workings of their devices, by defining something as "USB Audio" (now up to 2.0 version of the specification) and labeling devices as such, a consumer can buy two things labeled as "USB Audio" and believe they will work together.

The connector type (e.g. USB-C) should not be confused with "USB Audio".

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
I don't need it to sound amazing, so if something as simple as a a USB-A to 3.5mm jack adapter works, then great. But it's not the end of the world if I need something more substantial like this USD DAC (e.g. £80 AudioQuest Dragonfly Black DAC) then it isn't a huge issue.
If you don't need it to sound amazing, the mini does have a built in DAC and 3.5mm audio jack.

But otherwise yes I'm using an external DAC connected to the USB A port right now. The USB C ports I reserve for stuff that require USB C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.