Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Oddly, I haven't seen that discussed anywhere.
The "Liquid Retina" displays support up to 120 Hz and you can set different refresh rates in the settings. Also, we know that macOS now supports adaptive sync displays.
So a natural conclusion would be that the screen refresh rates adapts to whatever happens on screen (including games) on these laptops. But I haven't seen that reported anywhere.
Apple has discussed VRR in the context of ProMotion (WWDC sessions), but only for iPads. They also discuss macOS, but only in the context of adaptive sync external displays, not ProMotion displays. Adaptive sync and ProMotion are not synonymous.
So the fact that Monterey supports adaptive sync for external displays does not necessarily mean that MBP ProMotion displays also do.

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide us with any tool to report the screen refresh rate on these laptops. The Metal HUD does not.
So how can we tell if the screen refresh rates adapts to a game frame rate?
Note that absence of screen tearing with V-Sync off is not a proof of VRR. It could just mean that Metal enforces V-Sync (which I think it does on iOS).
Intermediate frame rates without screen tearing are not a proof of VRR either. All games and the Metal HUD report intermediate frame rates between 30 fps and 60 fps on my 5k iMac, regardless of V-Sync. And that machine definitely doesn't support VRR.

Last edited:

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
From MacRumors: https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/18/new-macbook-pro-features-120hz-promotion-display/

ProMotion technology also comes to the Mac on this new display, featuring an adaptive refresh rate up to 120Hz. ProMotion automatically varies the refresh rate to match the motion of a user's onscreen content to help preserve battery life, and makes tasks more fluid and even more responsive. Video editors can also lock in a refresh rate that is optimal for their footage. The combination of the outstanding XDR performance and super-fluid ProMotion technology make this the world's best notebook display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.