Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewbieMacEnthusiast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2023
I know for a fact that macbooks around/before 2016 might have had a usb short circuit protection because I've seen these images online-
Screenshot_2023-05-10-01-40-18-47~2.png
and heard stories where people have connected Faulty/shorted USB-A cables to their macbooks which resulted in one of 3 things-

1.) USB port getting temporarily disabled until the cable is removed

2.) Macbook temporarily shutting down until battery cable is removed and re-attached

3.) Macbook logic board burning

I would like to know if the above protection features still hold true for usb c macbooks. I specifically have a macbook pro 13 inch 2020.

I would like to know what could happen if someone accidentally attaches a shorted usb c charging cable into the modern (post 2017) macbooks.

-Will the charging port disable until cable is removed?
-Will the macbook disable until battery is removed and reconnected?
-Will the logic board say bye to its owner?

I would also like to know what additional protection macbooks have against similar possibilities, for eg. Short circuit is basically over current flow,
what protection do macbooks have against, say.....over voltage, what if someone applies a voltage higher than normal at the USB c charging port.

I'm asking all this stuff because not a lot of information is available about this in the public domain...so only people who tinker with Macs on a daily basis would be able to answer my questions.

Thanks for helping me out and curing my curiosity!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.