Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matmal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
1) DO NOT BUY THE LATEST MACBOOK PRO - NOT WORTH IT - YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED, READ BELOW
2) DO NOT BUY APPLE CARE - PHONE CALL HELP TOTALLY USELESS UNLESS YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TURN ON OR OFF YOUR LAPTOP

I have both a macbook pro 2014 an macbook pro 2019 with touch bar. The only good aspect about thew new macbook is a littte more power and I use intensive graphics.

1) Macbook keeps shutting down randomly when connecting external items to the ports and when goes to sleep. Rang help but could not solve. Now taken my 1 year old laptop to service which will be there for 2 weeks. Should have bought a Dell where they come to your house and fix it on the spot as I use for business.

2) Bluetooth connectivity is hopeless in the macbook pro 2019. Again I use the same devices on my macbook 2014 and all bluetooth devices work and never drop out. 2019 macbook pro drops out all the time and hard to connect genuine ear buds, trackpads etc.. actually non apple products have a great connectivity than their own products.

3) When connecting external screens and sidecar apple does not seem to know or understand that the 2014 Macbook pro actually allows the independent swiping of each screen so you can go to different desktops independently which is a great feature on sadly on the 2019 macbook pro all screens move left and right together. I called help but as usual the Aussie help gets as far as how to turn the macbook on or off...maybe a bit sarcastic here but not too far off.

4) The keyboard is vastly inferior but I suppose this can come down to personal taste. If you enjoy typing on a hard bench then use the 2019 macbook pro.

5) There really is not much different between the 2 laptops and not worth spending $4000+ dollars for a laptop that is almost identical and in fact inferior as already outlined above. Touch bar is nice but thats it....nice.

6) I have provided feedback to apple but as large companies go do they really listen????

6) Overall rating for the new macbook pro would be 2-3 stars considering the issues I am having with it and with the overall advancement from the previous macbook pro as this is a step backward clearly.

matmal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
lol ...thanks for the compliment....probably notice its not a question....but a statement...but look deeper and anyone is welcome to answer the "Bluetooth Connectivity", "Random Shutting down issue", "External Screen independent desktop swipe as compared to current model which cannot perform this action as all screens move together...a difference apple support cannot answer and even understand", "Why are the people who help have so little knowledge about apple?...I have rung for so many issues and every time they cannot help...later I work out the issue myself....useless service", "Apple care charge again is useless as includes the useless help plus if you do have damage you pay for it anyway plus if the product is defective you have to wait 2 weeks for repair!!! would you cal that service?" ...but like I said mostly this is a statement about the disappointing product and passing this knowledge onto to others who may be considering this overpriced purchase that under performs. Was a pc man all my life and changed to mac about 8 years ago but may go away from these overpriced machines and buy something else. When Steve Jobs passed away sadly, so did the innovation and quality.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
1) DO NOT BUY THE LATEST MACBOOK PRO - NOT WORTH IT - YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED, READ BELOW
2) DO NOT BUY APPLE CARE - PHONE CALL HELP TOTALLY USELESS UNLESS YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TURN ON OR OFF YOUR LAPTOP

I have both a macbook pro 2014 an macbook pro 2019 with touch bar. The only good aspect about thew new macbook is a littte more power and I use intensive graphics.

1) Macbook keeps shutting down randomly when connecting external items to the ports and when goes to sleep. Rang help but could not solve. Now taken my 1 year old laptop to service which will be there for 2 weeks. Should have bought a Dell where they come to your house and fix it on the spot as I use for business.

2) Bluetooth connectivity is hopeless in the macbook pro 2019. Again I use the same devices on my macbook 2014 and all bluetooth devices work and never drop out. 2019 macbook pro drops out all the time and hard to connect genuine ear buds, trackpads etc.. actually non apple products have a great connectivity than their own products.

3) When connecting external screens and sidecar apple does not seem to know or understand that the 2014 Macbook pro actually allows the independent swiping of each screen so you can go to different desktops independently which is a great feature on sadly on the 2019 macbook pro all screens move left and right together. I called help but as usual the Aussie help gets as far as how to turn the macbook on or off...maybe a bit sarcastic here but not too far off.

4) The keyboard is vastly inferior but I suppose this can come down to personal taste. If you enjoy typing on a hard bench then use the 2019 macbook pro.

5) There really is not much different between the 2 laptops and not worth spending $4000+ dollars for a laptop that is almost identical and in fact inferior as already outlined above. Touch bar is nice but thats it....nice.

6) I have provided feedback to apple but as large companies go do they really listen????

6) Overall rating for the new macbook pro would be 2-3 stars considering the issues I am having with it and with the overall advancement from the previous macbook pro as this is a step backward clearly.
It sounds like you should have returned the 2019 model. Did you not?!

Reactions: Audit13

matmal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
But there are so many things you don’t like that I would thought you would have realised earlier on that it wasn’t for you.
Well if you read the entire thing you would have seen I liked the 2014 Mac hence thinking that the new mac would be great and also need to have a working computer for work, but it was after the overpriced machine broke down and when I needed to call help (applecare) that I realised how useless the help was and poor quality the laptop actually was with all the defects and after discovering that it was actually a step backwards from the previous macbook pro.... this was too late for a return. But not too late to spread the truth about my experience.

Reactions: iRun26.2

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
The 2014 and 2015 Macbook Pros were great machines. The port selection, design, keyboard and build quality were all top notch. Even the speakers were quite good.

matmal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Yes they were and have now gone backwards with the latest macbook pros

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
What model do you have?
What Specs?

That usually helps figure out problems.

What intensive graphics are you doing? GPU based 3D rendering?
GPU based machine learning?
GPU Color Correction?

I have had about 15 Macs so far since the B&W G3 and once and a while apple has hardware issues.
Also if it’s still under warranty Apple Genius can help with the computer side if your problems, but not so much with the larger political aspects at Apple.

I have used almost every computer software and hardware on the planet, and Apple holds up pretty well. SGI, SUN and NeXT rate seconds.

matmal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2020
Mid 2019 Macbook pro and Just use Illustrator. Yes the laptop is good as long a it keeps working and as long as the bluetooth works and as long as it stops randomly shutting down.
Thank you for your interest and help.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Wait - do you have the Early 2019 (13" or 15") or the Late 2019 16"? Considering you're saying you've had it for a year, I'm assuming it's not one of the ones with the new keyboard.

You say "new" a lot, but you don't have the NEW MacBook Pro...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.