Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
Hi all!

I am new to Macs. Why is the "Do not disturb" icon shown in the top bar for a while after waking up? It then goes away. Is this normal?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Hi all!

I am new to Macs. Why is the "Do not disturb" icon shown in the top bar for a while after waking up? It then goes away. Is this normal?
Are you sure it isn't the location indicator? The do not disturb is a moon crescent and the location indicator is a arrow pointing upward towards the right.

location Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 3.33.43 PM.png
do not disturb Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 3.34.09 PM.png

Not exact since I screen capped them from locations other than the menu bar but close enough.

Edit: from the menu bar:
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 3.36.02 PM.png

Reactions: madonnaragu

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021

KShopper

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
I recall seeing that once also on my M1 MBA. Hasn't happened since, as far as I've noticed.
Does it go away on its own after awhile, or do you have to disable DoNotDisturb mode manually to get it to go away?

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I've noticed this too recently. No idea what triggered it because it definitely didn't show when I first got my M1 Air. May have been Apple's recent Big Sur 11.3 update ?‍♂️

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
It's a normal part of notifications. You have the option to turn Do Not Disturb on while the display is sleeping (I do). When the display wakes up, you see the icon for just a second or two before it goes away–all normal.

View attachment 1772804
Yes, this is exactly what is happening! However, I have turned off "Do not disturb" while the display is sleeping, and I still see the notification for a few seconds after waking up. It's not a huge deal, just slightly annoying. ?

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Yes, this is exactly what is happening! However, I have turned off "Do not disturb" while the display is sleeping, and I still see the notification for a few seconds after waking up. It's not a huge deal, just slightly annoying. ?
I get the exact same issue. All my DND settings are off, including display and still get the icon for a second or two. I’m expecting this is part of the way the Mac is reducing power as it sleeps. No idea Really

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
I get the exact same issue. All my DND settings are off, including display and still get the icon for a second or two. I’m expecting this is part of the way the Mac is reducing power as it sleeps. No idea Really
do you know what the default setting is for this option? Was it set on as default?

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
It must be. I have not seen it much since 11.4, to be honest. I will check if it's still there after waking up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.