Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I finished installing beta 2 just in time to test it out on the way home from work. Overall I’m happy that Apple added this feature but there’s a couple of things I hope they’ll fix.

First is also muting the alert chimes. I found myself reflexively glancing at my phone each time, so it doesn’t completely fulfill its goal. Second is building a short period after the car stops moving before allowing notifications to resume. While I was in stop & go traffic it kept going on and off.

Otherwise it seemed to work as advertised

Reactions: willmtaylor

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I finished installing beta 2 just in time to test it out on the way home from work. Overall I’m happy that Apple added this feature but there’s a couple of things I hope they’ll fix.

First is also muting the alert chimes. I found myself reflexively glancing at my phone each time, so it doesn’t completely fulfill its goal. Second is building a short period after the car stops moving before allowing notifications to resume. While I was in stop & go traffic it kept going on and off.

Otherwise it seemed to work as advertised

So what happens if you're a passenger but have this turned on?

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
If it activates it produces an alert. Hitting that alert allows you to select an option that says “I’m not driving”

Or you can simply turn it off. It’s completely optional

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I have an Apple Watch. What I saw yesterday was the same as I normally see, nothing on the display because the alert goes to my watch. No auto reply was sent back to say I was driving, it just worked the way it always has. I wonder if this feature is just for users without something like the watch, someone who normally uses just the phone for all interaction.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I have an Apple Watch. What I saw yesterday was the same as I normally see, nothing on the display because the alert goes to my watch. No auto reply was sent back to say I was driving, it just worked the way it always has. I wonder if this feature is just for users without something like the watch, someone who normally uses just the phone for all interaction.

I have a watch too but it switched on the moment I turned on my car yesterday. If you have it enabled I’m guessing it either didn’t successfully identify you were in the car/driving. (or it’s just buggy for now)

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Here's what happens when you press the notification

IMG_0777.PNG

Reactions: Ntombi

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I have a watch too but it switched on the moment I turned on my car yesterday. If you have it enabled I’m guessing it either didn’t successfully identify you were in the car/driving. (or it’s just buggy for now)
Looks like it activated today while driving. Pulled up (parked in parking lot) to call my wife and had to select I'm Not Driving to unlock and see the home screen for the phone app. Later when I went to open Music it did not prompt me. I will keep playing with it and see how it works. Dont think the auto reply has messaged anyone yet but only tested it yesterday.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Anyone know how this behaves with group messaging? In other words if I'm driving, but people in a group I'm apart are messaging, is my phone going to continually send the "I'm driving" response?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Looks like it activated today while driving. Pulled up (parked in parking lot) to call my wife and had to select I'm Not Driving to unlock and see the home screen for the phone app. Later when I went to open Music it did not prompt me. I will keep playing with it and see how it works. Dont think the auto reply has messaged anyone yet but only tested it yesterday.

My gf tends to text me a lot when I'm driving (perhaps she's after the life insurance :eek:) so I got one yesterday. Seems like she got the message (figuratively and literally) and stopped at one.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Anyone know how this behaves with group messaging? In other words if I'm driving, but people in a group I'm apart are messaging, is my phone going to continually send the "I'm driving" response?
Guessing here since I'm still testing but a note when this activated limits the feature to Favorites. Perhaps is the group includes Favorites it might block it, might not.

ramses2005

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Colombia
I have issues. It doenst work automatically or when it connects to bluetooth. I hope it gets fixed, because I really fin it to be a great feature.

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
I'd counter that if you need a built in facility to make the phone unresponsive while driving then you shouldn't be driving. Take your life and the lives of others seriously and don't use your phone while driving. No special mode is necessary.

It is like every adult today has forgotten when they were a kid and the only phone anyone had was their home phone. You survived every drive then without a phone. It is just as easy to do so today.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
It is like every adult today has forgotten when they were a kid and the only phone anyone had was their home phone. You survived every drive then without a phone. It is just as easy to do so today.
This is so true. Observe the panic on people's faces when they realize they left their phone at home/office/wherever, or even in the trunk. People worry more about leaving their phone behind than they do their driver's license or wallet.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I'd counter that if you need a built in facility to make the phone unresponsive while driving then you shouldn't be driving. Take your life and the lives of others seriously and don't use your phone while driving. No special mode is necessary.

If you can hear me up there on your horse, this is not about knowing when to touch your phone. This is about letting people expecting a quick reply know you are driving and not planning to reply until you arrive. This saves you taking to chance to do that.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
This is so true. Observe the panic on people's faces when they realize they left their phone at home/office/wherever, or even in the trunk. People worry more about leaving their phone behind than they do their driver's license or wallet.
Phones now cost $1200, it’s nice to know where it is

Also, don’t you think responding to family members needing you or being able to call 911 is important?

Reactions: Septembersrain

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Phones now cost $1200, it’s nice to know where it is

Also, don’t you think responding to family members needing you or being able to call 911 is important?
$1,200? iPhone X isn’t even on sale yet. But sure, you don’t want to lose an $800 device.

I helped raise 5 kids over a 30-year period. Guess how many true emergencies we had? Zero. Just like when my parents raised 6 kids. Zero true emergencies. Were we just plain lucky? Maybe. Might have been different if we had grown up and raised our kids in a dangerous neighborhood rather than a mid sized town in Central California. Forgetting a sack lunch isn’t an emergency nor is forgetting some piece of homework.

I’m not saying mobile phones aren’t great communication devices, they are. My point, and the point of the post I quoted, is, everything is going to be okay if you forget your phone for a couple of hours. There’s no reason to get all panicky, which is how people these days act.

ramses2005

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Colombia
Hey this is not about ethics or moral issues. It’s just a new feature, independent of the fact that people shouldnt text and drive, we all know that. But as someone said, sometimes it lets people know that you are driving and you wont answer, and if is reslly urgent, it’ll pass the message on. Anyways, I just like the feature because I dont like notifications when driving byt I still like phone calls if im on my bluetooth and Id like to have a really sweet function working smoothly! That’s all!

phineasboggs

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
My problem is that it won't allow me to call out even though I use earbuds 100% and don't text or answer texts in car.
There's no way, on my SE, to program this or turn it off. It turned itself on and blocked my attempted calls. Since then, I have tried everything possible to access and customize but without solution!
I want to disable it so it doesn't invoke itself.

When I go into settings>

Activate is set to greyed out Automatically
Auto Reply is set to Favorites (also greyed out)

And the supposed message is greyed out too.
Apparently it is sent, but I'm not so advised.

Once it's turned off, do you think they can find a way to shut up my very distracting husband?

IMG_2343.PNG IMG_2340.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.