Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zama36

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2007
I'm having issues with my external drives being improperly ejected after upgrading to 13.3.
I've been in contact with Apple Support and they need more people to report it to get it to engineering. So please report it if you are experiencing it.

I have experienced this issue of portable disks being ejected under all of the following circumstances.
  • Updated 13.3 in normal mode.
  • Updated 13.3 in safe mode.
  • Reinstalled 13.3 in normal mode.
  • Reinstalled 13.3 in safe mode.
Only option now for me is to restore OS using a Time Machine backup to get back to 13.2. Hopefully it will work.
---- And that didn't happen, since it wipes the drive completely and I can't/don't trust the Time Machine backups from this past week so hopefully Apple Engineering will figure this out soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaptajn Haddock

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I'm having issues with my external drives being improperly ejected after upgrading to 13.3.
I've been in contact with Apple Support and they need more people to report it to get it to engineering. So please report it if you are experiencing it.

I have experienced this issue of portable disks being ejected under all of the following circumstances.
Only option now for me is to restore OS using a Time Machine backup to get back to 13.2. Hopefully it will work.
---- And that didn't happen, since it wipes the drive completely and I can't/don't trust the Time Machine backups from this past week so hopefully Apple Engineering will figure this out soon.
Perhaps there are not so many people reporting it to Apple Support as not everyone is having this problem? I have no such problem with a couple of different portable drives.

Hope those concerned can quickly find a fix, but why not find out first whether it’s a general problem before making such a sensationalizing post title.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Unexpected ejections has been a macOS problem since Big Sur. There are MANY threads about this, including on Apple's own support forums. Some enclosures work fine, others don't. It is not a brand issue as some things from any given brand work fine, others don't. SSD-based drives seem to fare better than HDD-based drives but the former is not immune to the problem. Intel-based Macs are also not immune. From much research, RAID-based drives seem most likely to have problems with this issue, though some report their RAIDs work just fine too.

The typical story is that the same cable, enclosure, firmware and drive worked fine BEFORE a macOS upgrade and then starts doing this AFTER the upgrade. Apple fans will pop into every such thread trying to shift blame to anything other than Apple. However, those with an ability to step back to the prior version of macOS will typically report that the exact same setup works just fine again, almost clearly pointing to the ONE variable change- the macOS upgrade- being at fault.

I've tested this very problem like crazy and am about 9X% sure the problem is macOS bugs with port management. While it's easy enough to try a different cable, one should not be too moved towards thinking the problem is anywhere other than macOS. If in doubt, attach the exact same parts to an older Mac or PC and you are highly likely to find that the cable, enclosure and drive work perfectly fine.

Hopefully, Apple will decide to make the U in USB mean what it is supposed to mean again in some future macOS update. I miss "just works" Apple.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
My M2 Mac Mini is working fine, it updated to 13.3 when I got it last week. Been using a couple of external drives to move things over to it, not being seeing this issue.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Over the last year of owning my MBP 16'. I always leave my external drives connected via USB C directly to the laptop and then put my laptop to sleep overnight. Over the last year - I've had a few instances where I wake up to a "You didn't eject drive" warning. The drive would show in finder but for whatever reason overnight it disconnected and reconnected? It's happened maybe a handful of times over the last year - once recently - right before 13.3 came out.

It happened a LOT more frequently when using a USB C dock (Dell and Lenovo) so I end up not using those USB C docks anymore.

But overall, no problems. :p

apostolosdt

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I run Ventura 13.3 on a base Mini M1, but I control "Eject/Mount" tasks with the Jettison app; no apparent issues so far.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

what drives, and how many? SSD or hard disk? how old are they? and what mac??

rjalex

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Not totally related but I have got into the habit of never upgrading to a NN.M ... always wait for a NN.M.O (eg 13.3.1)

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania

What drives do you have attached and how are they attached? I'm not having any issues with Samsung X5 that I use for Time Machine backups.

Reactions: fisherking

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Every once in a while when my M1 iMac goes into sleep mode it improperly ejects my external SSD, but its not an issue that's new to 13.3

Reactions: BigMcGuire

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I haven't experienced any of the issues described by the OP, and I have both an external HDD (LaCie Time Machine drive) and external SSD (Samsung M.2 in an enclosure) connected to my MBP. I can't help but wonder if the OP's issue isn't with the OS itself but the drives being used...

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I haven't experienced any of the issues described by the OP, and I have both an external HDD (LaCie Time Machine drive) and external SSD (Samsung M.2 in an enclosure) connected to my MBP. I can't help but wonder if the OP's issue isn't with the OS itself but the drives being used....

...or a dock in between.

tlnargi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2019
Happens to me. SanDisk extreme 4tb formatted to APFS shows in disk utility but won’t mount.
Mounts fine on iPad Pro.
Will mount fine after a reformat but then if it gets improperly ejected Ventura won’t read it. It’s all over the apple forums and is clearly a Ventura problem.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Happens to me. SanDisk extreme 4tb formatted to APFS shows in disk utility but won’t mount.
Mounts fine on iPad Pro.
Will mount fine after a reformat but then if it gets improperly ejected Ventura won’t read it. It’s all over the apple forums and is clearly a Ventura problem.
but again... not for everyone.

and we still need more info from the OP...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
it would certainly help if the OP would fill in the details...
Indeed. For example, what does "improperly ejected" mean? Some possibilities:
  • When I connect a drive, it briefly appears and then dismounts itself.
  • When I connect a drive, it works for several hours and then dismounts itself.
  • A drive works fine until I try to write to it, then it dismounts itself.
  • A drive works fine until I restart the computer, then it doesn't show up.
  • When I dismount a drive, it appears to dismount correctly then complains when I unplug it.
  • When I do something fairly esoteric, the drive dismounts itself.
Without further details it's really difficult to know what's going on (and when people reply with "I'm not having the problem" when they're only guessing as to what the problem is, that's another matter).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Indeed. For example, what does "improperly ejected" mean? Some possibilities:
  • When I connect a drive, it briefly appears and then dismounts itself.
  • When I connect a drive, it works for several hours and then dismounts itself.
  • A drive works fine until I try to write to it, then it dismounts itself.
  • A drive works fine until I restart the computer, then it doesn't show up.
  • When I dismount a drive, it appears to dismount correctly then complains when I unplug it.
  • When I do something fairly esoteric, the drive dismounts itself.
Without further details it's really difficult to know what's going on (and when people reply with "I'm not having the problem" when they're only guessing as to what the problem is, that's another matter).
i hear you; and again, we don't know which mac, how many drives, how old they are, how they're connected... but the OP did say this:

"I'm having issues with my external drives being improperly ejected after upgrading to 13.3."

and some of us have pointed out that we don't have that specific issue. anyway hope they return with more info....

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Unexpected ejections has been a macOS problem since Big Sur. There are MANY threads about this, including on Apple's own support forums. Some enclosures work fine, others don't. It is not a brand issue as some things from any given brand work fine, others don't. SSD-based drives seem to fare better than HDD-based drives but the former is not immune to the problem. Intel-based Macs are also not immune. From much research, RAID-based drives seem most likely to have problems with this issue, though some report their RAIDs work just fine too.

The typical story is that the same cable, enclosure, firmware and drive worked fine BEFORE a macOS upgrade and then starts doing this AFTER the upgrade. Apple fans will pop into every such thread trying to shift blame to anything other than Apple. However, those with an ability to step back to the prior version of macOS will typically report that the exact same setup works just fine again, almost clearly pointing to the ONE variable change- the macOS upgrade- being at fault.

I've tested this very problem like crazy and am about 9X% sure the problem is macOS bugs with port management. While it's easy enough to try a different cable, one should not be too moved towards thinking the problem is anywhere other than macOS. If in doubt, attach the exact same parts to an older Mac or PC and you are highly likely to find that the cable, enclosure and drive work perfectly fine.

Hopefully, Apple will decide to make the U in USB mean what it is supposed to mean again in some future macOS update. I miss "just works" Apple.
This! I had this very same issue, and solved it by changing cables and inserting an extra powered usb-c hub. My working theory was that the power distribution to the usb-c ports was somehow not stable enough, hence the disconnects and the powered hub solution. And that did solve it for me!

Reactions: fisherking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.