Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
do people who use iPhones completely naked ever have problems when trading in the phones at Apple Store(online or in person) in a year or two?

Edit: I meant the iPhone being naked, not the users being naked. (scratches or dents to the edges of the phones, for example)

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveMyPens

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I’ve never traded into the Apple store but I’ve always gotten top dollar when selling on swappa

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I’ve never had an issue. At worst, my naked phone has a few hairline scratches in the oleophobic coating that you can only see with the screen off and in bright light at the proper angle. I’d say my 11 pro looks brand new, unless you get out a magnifying glass and start looking for imperfections. I’ve seen more damage from cases trapping dust and that dust and grit scuffing the phone as it’s trapped close to the phone over time.

Attachments

• C23DEFD7-81A2-4165-92D8-5EAE44BB9E61.jpeg
    C23DEFD7-81A2-4165-92D8-5EAE44BB9E61.jpeg
    605 KB · Views: 211
  • 340A7A66-A0CC-4863-B499-3391319E0E2B.jpeg
    340A7A66-A0CC-4863-B499-3391319E0E2B.jpeg
    693.7 KB · Views: 152

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I’ve never had an issue. At worst, my naked phone has a few hairline scratches in the oleophobic coating that you can only see with the screen off and in bright light at the proper angle. I’d say my 11 pro looks brand new, unless you get out a magnifying glass and start looking for imperfections. I’ve seen more damage from cases trapping dust and that dust and grit scuffing the phone as it’s trapped close to the phone over time.
Looks pretty good. Honestly I used to freak out about scratches and imperfections but at this point as long as nothing is cracked/shattered it’s not worth getting upset about. My phone is used more than anything else I own. It’s gonna get at least a little beat up. No sense in stressing about it.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Looks pretty good. Honestly I used to freak out about scratches and imperfections but at this point as long as nothing is cracked/shattered it’s not worth getting upset about. My phone is used more than anything else I own. It’s gonna get at least a little beat up. No sense in stressing about it.
Same. I see it more as tool these days (albeit a beloved one). I treat it with care, but they’re actually pretty durable these days.

Reactions: jcorbin

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
I just got a small hairline scratch in the coating of the 13. idk even how. But it’s only visible same way….

Guess it’s in the coating only cause can’t see it in normal use but it can be somewhat felt with a fingernail.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Returned iPhones end up being refurbished iPhones if they’re not totally thrashed. Refurbished iPhones always get new screens and outer shells - so they don’t care about scratches.

Reactions: LoveMyPens

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
If you mean refurbished byApple, they get a new shell and battery but not a new screen.

If the screen has any sign of usage the screens are replaced. As in light scratches etc, anything that can’t be polished out.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
If the screen has any sign of usage the screens are replaced. As in light scratches etc, anything that can’t be polished out.
Interesting. I bought a refurb 11 Pro Max from Apple, and the website said nothing about replacing the screen. Just the shell and battery. I thought replacing the screen is expensive in terms of labor and materials, to the point that it eats up too much of the profit margin to be viable.

It also came with ear buds that I assume were brand new, or else Apple did a very good job of cleaning out the previous owner's ear wax.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
Nope. I keep my iPhones pristine, often even the Apple employees are impressed when I tell them it’s a launch day phone.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Traded my 11PM and 12PM through my network (EE).

11 had a fat scratch through the screen but was otherwise perfect, 12 had smashed glass on the back but was otherwise perfect, was meant to be a £550 charge but they waived it.

Disclosed both prior and got full payment/credit.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
That oleo phobic coatings long gone brother. 😂

Paninnguaq

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2018
Returned iPhones end up being refurbished iPhones if they’re not totally thrashed. Refurbished iPhones always get new screens and outer shells - so they don’t care about scratches.
Apple can afford to replace the outer shell for next to nothing when it comes to refurbishing returned phones, but when a user walks in for a back glass replacement after an accident, suddenly it becomes a complicated affair that'll cost them $600. 🤔

riczon81

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2021
I recently traded in my 12 Pro Max and it was all scuffed up on stainless steel sides lol, all they really cared about was the diagnostics to make sure all hardware parts were genuine that's about it. I also traded in an iPhone 8 that had crazy scratches on the screen and they never batted an eye lol.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
do people who use iPhones completely naked ever have problems when trading in the phones at Apple Store(online or in person) in a year or two?
No problems at all using my phone naked, though the folks at the Apple store have repeatedly asked me to put my clothes back on.

(sorry, had to...)

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017

Edit: I meant the iPhone being naked, not the users being naked. (scratches or dents to the edges of the phones, for example)

So over here where I’m at, Apple seemed to have hired a third party vendor to take our devices in for trade in. I’ve never used cases for my iPhones for the longest time and when I sent my devices for trade in, there were no deductions made to the agreed trade in values. My screen has scratches and I remember my XR had a deep groove scratch done by my Milanese loop. No problems at all.

Last edited:

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Apple can afford to replace the outer shell for next to nothing when it comes to refurbishing returned phones, but when a user walks in for a back glass replacement after an accident, suddenly it becomes a complicated affair that'll cost them $600. ?
oMg aPPle iS nOt a cHaRiTy tHeY dOnT oWe yOu aNyThInG wHy yOu sO eNtItLed

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
Apple can afford to replace the outer shell for next to nothing when it comes to refurbishing returned phones, but when a user walks in for a back glass replacement after an accident, suddenly it becomes a complicated affair that'll cost them $600. ?

who doesn't want to contribute to the Tim Cook New 220-foot Yacht Fund??? :)

for some odd reason, I always decline to contribute $1 or $3 at the checkout counter at Petsmart, but I rarely refuse to contribute $500 to $1000 to the Yacht Fund. (even when I know that Tim Cook won't ever invite me for a ride)

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
So over here where I’m at, Apple seemed to have hired a third party vendor to take our devices in for trade in. I’ve never used cases for my iPhones for the longest time and when I sent my devices for trade in, there were no deductions made to the agreed trade in values. My screen has scratches and I remember my XR had a deep groove scratch done by my Milanese loop. No problems at all.

where is "here"? :)

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
As with everything else, there are some who are fortunate to avoid any cracks, scratches or dings during their ownership.

However, after dropping my Blackberry 8310 down two flights of stairs, I have always had a rugged case on my smartphones for the last 15 years.

The Otterbox Defender Pro while quite bulky in its earliest iterations has managed to slim down drastically.

It is important to make a distinction between the Defender Pro and Defender Pro XT which are both slimmer that the regular Defender case with the latter being slimmer but harder to install than the Defender Pro.

It's all a matter of personal preference and comfort with the risk of damaging your phone especially with repair costs even with AppleCare +TL.

Finally, these phones are glass and metal and cost alot. Even with AppleCare + TL, it isn't prudent IMHO to not protect such an investment. In addition, my smartphones have always been in pristine condition at trade-in time fetching a higher value.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I've never had problems with micro-scratches. cracks and dents are obviously a whole other issue, but the typical scratches that occur have never lowered my re-sale price. I finally started using a screen protector with the 12Pro and will say I love that there's no scratches on my screen.

Reactions: jcp007

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
If your item/purchase depreciates over time, it's not an investment.

I'm so so tempted to use my 13 Pro naked. It looks and feels great but I also really like the feel of a leather case. It's really not even about protection for me because I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've dropped my phone over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.