Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexfoxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
I'm tempted to buy an AppleTV to improve my set up. I currently have an LG C9 and the apps are _fine_ but a bit laggy / janky. I've read a lot of good things about how smooth the AppleTV is, however I've also read many complaints (on reddit) about a lot of the apps (e.g. Netflix, YouTube, Spotify) are missing features. For example, the BBC iPlayer app on my TV supports 4k content but I've read that the Apple TV app does not support this (yet).

I get the sense that AppleTV is de-prioritised for development because either, Apple has competing apps (e.g. Apple Music / Spotify), or because Apple's privacy controls are much stricter so they'd rather push the user to other platforms that allow more "spying".

In summary I want to get an AppleTV because of the better UI in general (+ the "reduce loud sounds" feature), but I'm worried the apps are lacking? Does anyone have any insight?

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Buy it and try for yourself. Netflix and YouTube have always been in one way or another. Only you are going to be able to decide if it’s ultimately for you are not. Return it if you don’t like it.

With that said tv is the best streaming box I’ve ever used. Even the crappy apps still work better on tv than the other boxes I’ve owned/used.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Netflix UI has improved but is still unable to support the interactive content.
BBC iPlayer doesn’t provide UHD or Subtitles due to the AppleTV not supporting DVB-DASH.
YouTube has a restriction on purchased/redeemed movies in that they’re restricted to 1080p upon playback.(That’s a step up from other devices though as they restrict at 720p on say my Panasonic OLED)
Prime is hit and miss as to whether or not HDR or Dolby Vision will play as advertised on all episodes of a series or just one or two random ones.

Last edited:

alexfoxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Netflix UI has improved but is still unable to support the interactive content.
BBC iPlayer doesn’t provide UHD or Subtitles due to the AppleTV not supporting DVB-DASH.
YouTube has a restriction on purchased/redeemed movies in that they’re restricted to 1080p upon playback.(That’s a step up from other devices though as they restrict at 720p on say my Panasonic OLED)
Prime is hit and miss as to whether or not HDR or Dolby Vision will play as advertised on all episodes of a series or just one or two random ones.
Thanks, do “normal” YouTube videos stream in 4K ok?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you've got a c9, so 4 years old, LG has a habit of updating the OS every few years, and not allowing the older models to do that update. Which means updates for the apps from various services become fewer and further between. since the developers won't do as many updates for a "retired" OS.

Every appleTV that supports tvOS is still able to upgrade to the current OS, even the aTV4 (now aTV-HD) which came out 8 years ago (and was discontinued last year). Developers can write one version of an app that will run on every one of those devices. There are a few features that require newer hardware (like continuity camera, VP9 codec)

siri voice search and dictation is nice, as well as being able to use your phone's keyboard to type.

The TV app is nice, it will consolidate most major streaming services in one place. (notable exceptions are Netflix and Plex). when you search a show, it will show you all of the apps where you can stream with a subscription or buy. Then once you watch something, it gets added to "up next" (you can manually add/remove too), then as new episodes are released they show up there, so you don't have to check multiple apps to see what new episodes you have to watch. And you'll also get notifications on your phone if you want when a new episode drops.

To avoid confusion...
AppleTV : a streaming box (piece of hardware)
AppleTV+ : a streaming service with lots of fairly good original content.
TV app : an app made by apple, you watch aTV+ content here, as well as the "consolidation" mentioned above.

Shows from other services can be found in the TV app no matter if you have a subscription to that service or not. When you select something to watch, the TV app will launch the appropriate other app. You need a subscription to watch things on the other services though.
Apple usually gives away a few months of free appleTV+ with purchase of the box, that only gives you access to their streaming service. The TV app works with other services no matter if you have an aTV+ subscription or not.

if you decide to get into home automation, the newer aTVs have thread built in. Thread is a new kind of wireless radio, Think of it as an alternative to bluetooth or wifi. Thread is designed for having large numbers of things that don't need much bandwidth. All you need is a newer appleTV (or HomePod) and a thread enabled device (like a light switch, smart outlet, or various sensors). Scan the code on the device with your phone, and you're good to go, no extra hub, or adding to your wifi needed.
Having a home hub (appleTV or homepod) will also allow you to control and monitor all of your smart home devices when you're away from home.

I trust Apple over LG for privacy any day.
My LG is blocked from the internet.
In order to use any app on the LG you have to agree to let LG monitor your "viewing information", and report back what you're watching. Even if you're watching something from your cable box, the AI in the TV will analyze the image, and report back to LG. Not sure how detailed it is, if it's "sports" "football" or " team vs team" but still very invasive especially on a premium set.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I get the sense that AppleTV is de-prioritised for development because either, Apple has competing apps (e.g. Apple Music / Spotify), or because Apple's privacy controls are much stricter so they'd rather push the user to other platforms that allow more "spying".

In summary I want to get an AppleTV because of the better UI in general (+ the "reduce loud sounds" feature), but I'm worried the apps are lacking? Does anyone have any insight?

Personal opinion, apps on the Apple TV are much faster and more reliable than my Samsung TV (Tizen?).

If anything, the Apple TV apps are actually updated more often because they benefit from sharing code with their iOS counterparts. The biggest players update them hand in hand with their iOS apps.

As of 11/20, almost every streaming app from the big players (Disney+, Hulu, YouTube, Showtime, Max, Paramount+, Peacock, Tubi, Netflix, etc.) have been updated in the last month, most are on the same software version as their iOS companions.

It's a $129 purchase (you may get it for cheaper Black Friday). So, try it and test it out. It may be worth it to you, it may not.

I've got family members that prefer their TVs built-in apps just because they have the stupid Netflix button on the remote. Only you know what kind of customer you are.

alexfoxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Thanks for the detailed responses. I really value good UI/UX so no doubt that alone will justify my purchase. The home automation also sounds interesting, as an added bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.