Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voraciousvegan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2015
I'm trying to decide if I should get a Magsafe case or not. I'm wondering if iPhone 13's magnets are specialized enough to not attract everyday magnetic items, or if it can stick to the fridge, stainless steel, various metals in the garage, attract paper clips, etc. What about the Magsafe compatible cases themselves? In that case I want to opt out of a Magsafe case to just lessen the annoyance factor.

Can anyone run a quick test with & without a Magsafe case?

Picky I know, but it's the small things!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You’ll not be able to connect your phone to a standard fridge even with MagSafe case on. Everyday items like coins (most are made of nickel/copper), keys, won’t stick either. Paper clips possibly. no you can’t stick to metal bars like squat rack at the gym. I’ve tried with 12, 13 series not much different.

Apple has a warning regarding pace makers. There are cases that will allow for mounting but you’ll have to search for those.

there

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I just got my iPhone 13 pro max and I used a 12 pro max caseless for all of the last year and I never once had a problem with the phone sticking to something or something unexpectedly sticking to the phone. I keep my phone in my pocket with no keys or coins and I typically wouldn’t put the phone down on a pile of random stuff, so maybe that has something to do with it too.

I did try to play around a little and I found that if I set my phone on a paper clip, then it will stick, but it’s not a strong connection and it’s not going to pull all your paper clips to the phone from across across your desk or even from an inch or two away. The magnets are definitely not strong enough to hold the phone to the fridge.

I don’t have a MagSafe case, so I can’t test that, but I would expect the results to be similar… the magnets in the cases are about the same strength as the ones in the phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.