Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
I know the gestures from the iPhone X work on the iPad, but does app switching and app closing gestures work on the 8+ like it does on the X and iPad?

Thanks.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
No. Apple will not release it to the other phones because it’s one of the main feature for the iPhone X. Basically, apple want you to buy their new X. Typical apple.

The gesture is a joy to use though, I wish it’s available to other iPhones as well.

Reactions: Peter K.

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore
I know the gestures from the iPhone X work on the iPad, but does app switching and app closing gestures work on the 8+ like it does on the X and iPad?

Thanks.
The iPhone 8 uses a home button (unlike the iPhone X which has a software-implemented Home bar). As such, the iPhone 8 will not be able to utilise the app-closing gestures in a way that does not conflict with bottom row buttons, given the much smaller screen size the phone has compared to the iPad.

Reactions: 204353

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
The only swipe gesture I wish came to the 8 plus is sliding the bottom of the screen left and right to go through apps. Much better than the double click of the button or trying to reach the top left corner to go back to the previous app.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
The only swipe gesture I wish came to the 8 plus is sliding the bottom of the screen left and right to go through apps. Much better than the double click of the button or trying to reach the top left corner to go back to the previous app.

Have you tried double-tapping the Home button to use Reachability?

Reactions: modernmoments

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can also 3D Touch and swipe from the left side of the screen to go back to previous app.

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
No. Apple will not release it to the other phones because it’s one of the main feature for the iPhone X. Basically, apple want you to buy their new X. Typical apple.

The gesture is a joy to use though, I wish it’s available to other iPhones as well.
They’ve added the gestures to older iPads. My iPad Air has the new gestures on iOS 12 and it’s almost 5 years old. So, while it doesn’t seem like the 8+ is getting the gestures, I don’t think your reasoning is totally right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.