Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denisch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2021
Surprisingly, but typical of Apple: Leather Link Midnight (2022, 41 mm) is almost 2 times worse magnetic than last year's black Link (2021, 40 mm).

Both straps are original, but the difference in magnets is simply colossal. And in Midnight the lines with magnets look 5-10% smaller than in black.

Reactions: moptart

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I bought the leather link for the first time this year and I just boxed it back up to return because it kept falling off. So i'm not sure if the magnets are weaker than previous years but they definitely don't seem strong enough for day to day wear.

Reactions: cannono

Hojobones

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
I ordered an umber for the ultra, hoping it’s not bad. I have the yellow one from a couple years ago I guess I will compare it once they arrive

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
I ordered an umber for the ultra, hoping it’s not bad. I have the yellow one from a couple years ago I guess I will compare it once they arrive

The Umbra is really really beautiful. I'm sad to return it, though I'm considering the M/L to see if a longer length helps. Just afraid it'll be *too* long so will go to the store to try it on.

I wish they kept making the leather loop!

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Maybe the stronger magnets messes with the compass or something? Whenever I activate parts of the Wayfinder face, or use car tracker, warnings pop up about magnets and other interference can give poor results.

Or they went cheap. Idk. lol

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
It could be a defect. I saw a YouTube video a few weeks back where the person said he was wrong about the leather links, because the magnets were too weak. After trying them again later on, he changed his view because the magnet was better.

This video came out when leather links were introduced.

i505

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2016
New Mexico, USA
I have been daily driving the 41mm Umber Leather Link for a week and a half and haven't had any problems with the magnets coming loose.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I have a new Midnight Leather Link which is as strong as my Dark Cherry Leather Link.

The longer piece has to go over the top of the shorter piece otherwise the magnets won't bind.
I believe this to be the reason those above may have had a poor experience.

Reactions: the future

Cotypubby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2020
Every one of my leather links has strong magnets that i cannot see how they could possibly “just fall off.” I think those who claim that have put them on the wrong way.

Reactions: the future

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Every one of my leather links has strong magnets that i cannot see how they could possibly “just fall off.” I think those who claim that have put them on the wrong way.

It's pretty easy to tell which way is correct. One side is definitely stronger. Perhaps I got a bad one but it definitely fell off and I caught it before damage was done. Everyone has different experiences so it's really not ok to disregard it just because it's different from yours. Especially if it wasn't "rant" or mad post. I hardly ever return Apple items and I'm not one of those overly picky people on there so I know when something doesn't work properly.

It would have been easy enough for you to just say, no, mine feels fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.