Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Starting at college in the fall. Looking for some phones that:

-Not 'buds unless they're REALLY comfortable. I used Shures until I just couldn't stand the feeling of any of the tips anymore.
-Not SkullCandy or Beats - both are overpriced and way too common
-Are in the $40-$60 price range (cheaper is nice if their quality)
-Sound like they're in the $40-$60 price range
-Look good
-Are portable
-Are durable
-Are comfortable

Things I also like:
-Fabric cords with controls for my MBP, iPad, and if I'm being picky, Samsung Galaxy S phone.

All of these are important. I've been looking at a number of phones. For a while I was going to get the Urban Ears Plattan or the identical Marshall Majors (the Majors are more expensive but I like the looks more) because they look good, are in the range, and are very portable. Both models have chords with mics and controls. But then I read some reviews that said manufacturer Zound Industries wasn't very consistent on quality or durability.

Then I was looking at WeSC Maracas. I love the style, they're not audiophile quality: They won't live up to my old Shures, but they'll be comprable to the busted PortaPros which they'll be replacing. People say they look like they'll last. They MSRP at $70 but I can get them for $40 on Amazon. And while some WeSCs get terrible reviews on comfort, people tend to like the Maracas. But they're big over-ears and they don't fold, so I'd have to keep them on or around my neck all the time (NOT comfortable) or they'll take up a lot of room in my bag.

I'm not sure what else is out there. While not everyone on this forum will agree, I place high value on style provided sound quality is at least where the PortaPros were - in my experience a $40 set (even though I got mine for $12 on Amazon).

Any thoughts and experiences on either of these phones is appreciated or any other suggestions that meet all these criteria.

Thanks!
Dan

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Thanks but that's not at all what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for headphones. For listening to music. On the ground. I want them to be stylish, durable, and portable, I want them to not sound terrible, but I don't want to spend more than $60 (I looked at the AiAiAi TMA-1s... they'd be perfect were it not for the $200 pricepoint).

If you have any suggestions for headphones that are stylish, durable, and portable for use on the ground that would be great.

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
That's what these will be replacing. I liked the portapros, but the cord started going not 6 months after I bought them. And I just wanted something different.

Jantelagen

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
http://www.jays.se/products/headphones/c-jays.html

See if these'll do ya good. I use the low-end in ear ones, a-JAYS one, and they are great compared even to the classic Creative EP-630. I don't prefer over ear myself, but I can guarantee that these are good headphones by an underdog brand that I can't imagine affords to skimp on the quality, they rely on satisfied customers and on those (me!) satisfied customers spreading the word :)

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Hey, thanks for the reply on the JAYs. I really like them. I already ordered a pair of WeSCs yesterday but I'll remember that brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.